Sump Idea for Turtle Tank

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by BLaZeBLaST, Nov 3, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. BLaZeBLaST

BLaZeBLaST Astrea Snail

For example(centimeters for section) and my idea is;

1-)5cm for stones(breaking water)
    2-)10cm for sponge/fiber
    3-)20cm for ceramic rings
    4-)10cm for activated carbon
    5-)10cm for heater and maybe another filter media
    6-)5cm for ending(return) section

If you have any ideas and recommendations, please let me know. Because I dont know much about how much I should use "x" media. If I know, I wont ask.

Sorry for my English :)

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Sounds good to me... BUT WAIT... you didn't mention the sump was ABOVE the tank before... that is a big difference... no need for overflow then.

4. BLaZeBLaST

BLaZeBLaST Astrea Snail

Thanks for your reply, @Matt

I think I explained my problem wrong, because of my English, there must be a misunderstanding :-/

But if "above" means stands higher than the aquarium, yes, I meant it. As you can see in the photos, sump will be outside of the tank, on a platform and yes, higher than aquarium.

Powerhead will pump water to sump(higher), and water will fall from hole(connected to pipe) at the end of the sump, without help, it will fall down to aquarium.

1-)Now, do I explain it alright?

2-)And another filter medias I've heard;
    *Lava rock(not sure)
    *Zeolit

What do they do?

3-) If possible, can I request the link of the thread that explains how to add plant to sump for filtering water?

And do I need it for turtle aquariums that much, will it deserve looking(caring)?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  5. BLaZeBLaST

BLaZeBLaST Astrea Snail

Up. Thanks for the replies.

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Got it. You explained it well.
    I am partial to eheim media but to answer your question I think lava rock has a similar principle - it is all about surface area for bacteria to grow on. This bacteria helps breakdown ammonia.

Interesting idea for a plant filter. In the reef tank world we put them in 'refugiums' - in your case, maybe some water hyacinth would work well. I'd like to see what you come up with. Good luck!
    Edit: check this site out for ideas: http://www.pondplantsdirect.com/
    matt

7. BLaZeBLaST

BLaZeBLaST Astrea Snail

I will turn back here when I finished the project, with the photos :)

8. Click Here!

9. BLaZeBLaST

BLaZeBLaST Astrea Snail

I've made it :)

A little bit smaller than I imagine, but it is mine, so :)

60x12x12 centimeter long, total 6 sections, dual divider;
    I cant explain it truly, so the photos;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But I still have questions;

I know I must transfer water from tank to sump without any cleaning. But making powerhead send water to sump with pipes are not an easy job, now I really see :angry:

Is there any problem with this;

I will use empty canister filter to suck water from tank and send it to sump. My canister filter will be totally empty, there will be no filtration. Canister will do the job that a powerhead does.

Will this work? Or will it fail because canister is totally empty and there wouldnt be enough pressure?

Any recommendations?

10. brunoboarder244

brunoboarder244 Torch Coral

cannisters don pump a consistent pressure usually and are not designed to pump against head pressure, you could get most powerheads and they would be fine to pump up to the sump, maybe something like a mag7?

11. BLaZeBLaST

BLaZeBLaST Astrea Snail

Do I get it right?
    When you run canister empty, it will not pump in same pattern, and sorry but I didnt get ;
    Mag7 will be "so powerful" for me, I think. My tank is just filled with 60 liter water, which is like 12-13 galloon, I hope I calculate it right. There will be cyclone in the aquarium :)

And finding parts and material you said is hard to find here. I just go out and ask for "powerhead", not "Mag7". And can't "Mag7" :D

12. brunoboarder244

brunoboarder244 Torch Coral

i thought tank was larger a mag7 is a bit large lol maybe a smaller model of mag will be fine or a maxijet 900 maybe?