Sump/fuge build with PICS!

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Annie3410, Mar 24, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Annie3410

Annie3410 Teardrop Maxima Clam

Alright, so i finally decided to bite the bullet and build my own sump/fuge as opposed to spending $200 on one. So here it goes. First off, my supplies. I am using the pressure locking baffles design explained here baffles so that is why you see no silicone on my supplies list.

Supplies(with cost):
    1x 10 gallon aqeon aquarium = $11 from Petco
    2x 0.22" 18x24 in sheets of acrylic = 13x2= $26 from Lowes
    1X roll of EPDM = $11 from Lowes
    1X 65k 26wt energy efficient flood light style bulb = $7 from lowes
    1x "spike a light" all weather bulb holder = $5 from lowes
    8 ft 3/4in flex PVC = $12 from aquacave
    8 ft 1/2in flex PVC = $11 from aquacave
    1x 3"x2ft PVC = $5 from lowes
    2x 3/4in ball valves
    1x 1/2in ball valve
    1x 3/4in T piece
    1x 1/2 in thread/slip converter

I am using a CPR CS50 overflow box rated for 300 gal/hr and a mag7 pump with a ball valve after it to scale back the flow a bit. I did purchase the aqualifter pump with the overflow box.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

looks good! please take pics and post them as you put it all together!!

4. Dasco

Dasco Vagabond Butterfly

good start keep the pics coming

5. Annie3410

Ok, on with the show. So using the pressure sealing baffles:
    I read the directions almost to a T from the above website. They did recommend cutting the acrylic with a jigsaw, but i used the score and snap method instead. It was not as easy as i anticipated to break the acrylic but the results were very clean.

With the pressure sealing baffles, you have to cut your acrylic 1/4" shorter than the actual width of the aquarium that way you have 1/8" on either side for the EPDM. This worked out well. After getting the baffles cut, i applied the EPDM to the sides and bottoms of the baffles. then, you place the baffle in sideways and tap it into place with a hammer. I did leak-test the first baffle because i was a skeptic, as i'm sure most of you are.

The first few cuts and fits were easy. Then came the middle baffle. The one with the gap at the bottom. I did have to break out the jigsaw for this one, because since it is pressure sealed, i had to leave 1" on either side of the baffle to hold it up, so it wouldnt slide down and impede flow. This made me very glad that i did not use the jigsaw for the whole build, because the result was messy.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  6. Annie3410

Ok so after the baffles i did have to put the PVC all together. I used flex PVC as above, mainly because i am a bit to lazy to do all the measurements and things to see where the elbows, etc would have to be. Plus, now i have no 90 degree bends=more flow.

At this time, i also cut my large 3" PVC pipe down to 10" and cut teeth in the bottom. This will serve as a place for me to place media. No bioballs, just carbon, a lil phosban, and nitrate sponge.

The 3/4" line will run from my overflow, down to a T piece. From there some will go to my fuge, and most will go to the PVC/media chamber. There is be a ball valve after the T piece in both directions.

My return line is 1/2" with a ball valve after the return pump.

I also took the liberty to go ahead and make my pump less noisy before i have even heard it run lol. So i put some of the EPDM rubber on the bottom. I also put it on each side since the pump is a fairly tight squeeze and i didnt want it rattling against the glass and acrylic.

Attached Files:

7. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

ok, I'm a dummy....what's EPDM??? OH I just looked at the pic. will hold in salt water?

8. Click Here!

9. el_sillo

el_sillo Spaghetti Worm

nice job, i also have a 10 gal sump
    [​IMG]

10. Annie3410

Ok, so i didnt get it all done today! boo. I would love to stay up late and finish but i have 3 12 hr shifts coming up. So, i got all baffles installed. I cut the PVC. All the lines are curing on the dining room table. lol.

So, the fuge will be the section to the far right. It is a lot smaller than i anticipated, but i had to have room for my skimmer and return pump. Although i did not go with the BEST skimmer, i went with a good one that has a small foot print. My skimmer should be in tomorrow and i can finish this thing up.

The fuge will be on the far right. It will have a DSB and chaeto. Then is the skimmer section, and also where the media chamber is. Skimmer is an Aqua C urchin Pro with Mag3 pump. the pump will go next the skimmer and i can move the media chamber around to make it all fit.

I really wanted the aqua C ec120, or the turbo1000 but then i would have no room for a fuge. So, while a skimmer is more important than a fuge, now i have a pretty good balance i think.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  11. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Awesome build thread. So, there is an adhesive side to the epdm?

12. Annie3410

According to WWM it will. They say it is the same kind of rubber used to pad the feet of pumps, etc