Sump/display turnover rate

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Thatgrimguy, Mar 5, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

This months coral magazine has an article in the reefkeeping 101 section talking about turnover rates in the filter tank (sump.) This article suggests that 1x turnover is plenty for our reef tanks....

That right. they are saying that only 210 gallons per hour is needed as actual return for my 210 gallon reef!!! I know the common suggestion is either 10x or match the skimmer.... I have often thought that high water flow through the sump could actually be less effective but have always stuck to the common advice. Currently I'm running about 9 times the coral magazine recommended amount at about 1900 gph!!

Anyone have any comments on this?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Well I could see if you have less flow rate the better it would be for filter feeders. Meaning they have a better chance grabbing particles.

4. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Well, this is specifically the flow through the sump. Not including water movement in the main tank.

I could see where the water has more time to get filtered completely before being returned to the main tank. I see a lot of build up of detritus in my sump. I'm wondering if the water was slowed down if the skimmer would be able to get more of it before it moves on. Also, less heat and electricity use and less noise.

I wonder if there is any actual upside to fast flow through the sump...

5. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

I was talking about flow in the Sump. :) 210 gph flow would be not good in a 210 DT.

I have 650 gph flow in my 29 gallon DT.

6. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

That's the common advice given by hobbyists. More is better.. but none of us (that i've read) has a good reason why.

The very well respected reef writer Daniel Knopp from Coral magazine says different... according to the article. 210gph is all that is needed for my 210gallon tank.

It shocked me too... That why I was looking for more input. I'm hoping someone will have some scientific or at least something compelling to one way or the other.

7. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

Wow, so i would only need 27 gph....thats insane. I would say im sitting at about 200GPH at the moment.

8. Click Here!

9. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

Wouldn't more flow be better because it keeps detritus from settling, keeping it suspended for filter feeders and also for our skimmers to remove? If flow rates were super low, ie: 1x tank volume, then wouldn't more detritus collect and we'd have to vacuum our sand beds like we do with FW tanks. I'm far too much of a newb to really give any proof of advice but just speaking in common sense terms, I'd think more flow equals more sexy crystal clear water?

I have been patiently waiting for 414-242 to release his deep water high flow fuge/sump build. That guy has some B.A set ups to say the least.

http://www.3reef.com/forums/i-made/high-flow-deep-water-sump-refugium-updated-pics-124169.html

10. HeiHei29er

HeiHei29er Gigas Clam

Less flow to the sump means less detritous flowing into it from the DT.

Sounds like they want the water that flows to the sump to be well skimmed and have planty of time for denitrification in the biological filter.

11. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

More flow in the display yes. But this is specifically the flow through rate of the sump. You would still have extra water movement in the DT from your vortechs and what not.

Look at calcium reactors. Many times the answer to getting more alk and cal out of a calcium reactor is to lower the drip rate so that contact time increases. Maybe this is the same theory. Fully skimmed, reacted and refuged water gets returned.

I just couldn't imagine using such a small return pump!

1 person likes this.
  12. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

Sounds reasonable, too bad my set up won't allow me to do this, I could slow the rate my return pump pushes out but my skimmer is not in my fuge so slowing down flow for my skimmer would be hard. I also often wonder about the nasty soot build up in my fuge corners, do i leave that for critters to sift through or should I vacuum that out? Ever since I was told never vacuum my sand bed I've left detritus settle where it wants to settle, but in my DT I have no dead zones any more.

+1 Grim Good thread, basically I want a super super slow return pump but rely on my DT to get it's flow through PH's. Subscribed! Want to see what some more experienced folk have to say!