Sugru

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by martyd215, Mar 24, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. martyd215

martyd215 Astrea Snail

Sorry if I'm posting this to the wrong forum. This just seemed like the place to talk about this.

I was wondering if anyone had seen/tried this stuff called Sugru (site available here.). It's basically like modelling clay but it dries to be a flexible silicone plastic. Specifically, I was wondering if any one had tried it as it relates to fish tanks, as it seems like it could have some neat applications for DIY. It says it's safe with sea water on their site.

I'm not sure whether it would possibly dry underwater, and whether it would be safe to do so in a tank with live animals in it. It says that it cures with the moisture in the air, so perhaps it would be.

I was thinking of buying some in order to adjust something on my skimmer, but I was wondering if anyone else had tried it out. It seems like it has potential to be a useful new material.

2. Click Here!

3. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

Wow good find! I bookmarked it and there is a lot of application possibilities. I really hope this is reef/aquarium safe too.
    I would use this for..
    -making the MagDrive quieter.
    -aquascaping tool.
    -fixing stuff around the house.

4. fishyfinder

fishyfinder Teardrop Maxima Clam

Very cool! Great find!

5. martyd215

martyd215 Astrea Snail

Well, I ordered a pack for modding my protein skimmer. I'll do an experiment to see whether it will cure underwater when I receive it, though I won't test it in my tank. I'll have to leave that level of experimentation to someone who's better equipped to deal with that. Information about the product online is really sparse, which isn't surprising considering how new it is. I'll just have to wait for it to arrive from Britain to see how far its abilities go.

I've checked out its MSDS and it appears that the biggest threat it's known to have in humans before it cures is a skin irritant. Comparing the MSDS for Sugru with the one for Cyanoacrylate (superglue) makes cyanoacrylate seem worse, so I'm going to assume nothing from that.