suggestions

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Guest, Apr 2, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

i have a new eclipse system one 10 gallon tank. it is done cycling, i did the decaying shrimp thing. I was wonering what kind of corals i should get, and what lights to use. for the lights i have an marine glow actinic 15 watt/ coral life 20k natural 15 watt. give me tips. please, please, please.
    also i like the carnation corals. how hard are they to keep? what do they eat? best survival types for them.
    gracias.

2. Click Here!

3. reefman_MC

reefman_MC Aiptasia Anemone

In a nano it's always better to stick with stuff like mushrooms, polyps, and stuff thats grows flat to the rock. Do you think you could add another 15 watt bulb to you tank? With the lights you have you can keep more low light species maybe a few moderate light species. The carnation coral will do great under low light and moderate water flow. You should feed it phytoplankton. Do a search on DT's live phytoplankton. Carnation is pretty hardy. You should be able to keep it with no problem. Let us know if you have any more questions.

4. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Carnations are very difficult to keep. They require very stable water and regular feeding. They do not rely on Light for food.
    Unfortunatly I am currently struggling to keep one healthy.

For a nano tank I would juggest Mushrooms, Zooanthids, maybe even a brain or bubble coral if you up your lighing.
    I would try to find a Power compact system that is more Watts than your current bulbs. PC lighting will through off less heat

J

5. reefman_MC

Oops, Jason is correct. I was actually looking at some information just now about carnations and it says the same thing. I had one in my 29 gallon that did great. I guess it was just a once in a lifetime thing. I finally sold mine back to the lfs because I didn't really like it that much. I never fed mine because I really didn't want it. It was a gift from family.

6. scotto

scotto Plankton

now, are there more powerful bulbs, like 30 watt or something? also any polyps?the reason i ask is because in my bothers tank we have yellow polyps under 300 watt MH, and they love it. mushrooms i assumed would be fine. what are those black polyps called?

7. reefman_MC

PC bulbs come in 9,13,28,36,55,65,96 watts just to name what I know of. It's just a matter of finding the right size hood for a ten gallon tank. If you wanted you could get one MH pendant, but always remember the more wattage the more heat. So be careful your tank temp will be way up there if you put on a metal halide, but if you get a chiller or a fan to blow under the MH pendant you could keep the temp down. For lighting look at www.hamiltontechnology.com or www.championlighting.com.

8. Click Here!

9. szogun

szogun Feather Duster

10. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

[quote author=szogun link=board=Newbie;num=1080962171;start=0#6 date=04/03/04 at 14:10:38]If your tank is 20" long I would get this one
    http://www.hellolights.com/201xcoaqpcho.html

Although its $97 but than you can keep much wider range of corals  [smiley=laugh4.gif][/quote]

I hope not to make you mad but PC lighting is crap compared to MH or even VHO. IMO

11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Yeah, but he only has a ten gallon tank.

12. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

150 watt MH then.... a pendent HQI like the one from Matts link.