suggestions on a recipe for fish food?

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by brunoboarder244, Nov 3, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. brunoboarder244

brunoboarder244 Torch Coral

In my tank I have a 3 stripe damsel, domino damsel, green/blue chromis, female maldives anthias(on frozen foods), coral beauty, a cleaner shrimp, 2 peppermint shrimps, and an emerald crab....also picking up a pair of true percs and a yellow watchman goby.....

im looking for a recipe that will cover all bases on these fish and have some insinght on how you guys make your foods, i have an idea on how to make the food since i have researched a little.

thanks for any help;D

2. Click Here!

3. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

there are recipes on here from different people posting them in the past.

But it is best to get a variety of fresh seafood, some nori, maybe cyclopeeze, etc. and blend it up. Try to replicate what is in Rods Food

4. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

damsels eat seaweed from time to time, adding some, (not that much), to your mix will probably benefit them.

1 person likes this.
  5. Wiggles

Wiggles Astrea Snail

I make my own food all the time. Heres what I do:
    1. Fresh fish - usually cod
    2. Shrimp
    3. Scallops
    4. Seaweed
    5. And anyother fresh seafood I find at the counter at the grocery store

I cut everything into pieces and blend it together. The only time I use frozen seafood is if it is unprocessed and flash frozen. Anything pieces the fish do not eat, the crabs I have eat. Also from time to time some of my corals will snag a piece.

1 person likes this.
  6. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

add nori like said but also make sure you add HUFAs and vitamins to the food. I used Brightwells Amino-Omega when I made my food for my predators.

I went to the chinese grocers in our little "china town" and got cod, shrimp, silversides, scalllops and clams and various other fish that was on sale. With my predators I used squid also. Depending on what tank it was for was how finely it was processed.

I would also recommend looking into RODS food and getting their fish eggs that they sell. They are great for fish and EVERYTHING loves it including corals.

I placed the food into the ice trays that they use for water bottles. Once they froze up enough i took them out and cut them up into the appropriate size to feed the fish. This helped a lot because i could never get the food to be flat enough in zipper bags and would have a hard time breaking pieces off when needed.

7. RJT

RJT Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I placed the food into the ice trays that they use for water bottles. Once they froze up enough i took them out and cut them up into the appropriate size to feed the fish. This helped a lot because i could never get the food to be flat enough in zipper bags and would have a hard time breaking pieces off when needed.[/QUOTE]

That is brilliant. Where do you get those ice trays?

8. Click Here!

9. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

That is brilliant. Where do you get those ice trays?[/QUOTE]

We found them at Target! It worked great!

1 person likes this.
  10. RJT

RJT Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

We found them at Target! It worked great![/QUOTE]

Thank you. Now I know what I'm getting on black friday-a blender.

Back to the original post. I would use Nori as suggested earlier and a very small amount of broccoli for the angel.

1 person likes this.
  11. swagonwagon

swagonwagon Plankton

The food I make lasts quite a while and fish seem to love it. I go to a local grocery store that has a fish market in it. I use about small amount of scallops, squid, raw shrimp, fish, usually cod as well, and seaweed. I also add a few dashes of zoe from kent for further vitamin supplement. I finely chop everything up, put it all in the blender with some R/O water and blend it up. Although the wife must be out of the house for this recipe as it has a pungent smell. After it is all blended nicely I pour it into a large zip lock bag while leveling it all flat so it is a very thin layer and freeze it. After the mixture is frozen, I will break off a small piece and thaw it via a small dish of fish tank water for about two minutes. Break up the pieces after they are thawed and dump it in.

1 person likes this.
  12. brunoboarder244

brunoboarder244 Torch Coral

thanks for all the help everyone!