suggestions for stocking nano?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Billme, Feb 1, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

This is a new Nuvo 8 gal for my wife. It's been cycled for 8 weeks and ready to start. I want to keep this simple if possible by not adding difficult corals. So what I'm thinking is an anemone and clown combo. Any thoughts?

2. Click Here!

3. coylee_17

coylee_17 Fire Goby

I wouldn't recommend a clown/nem combo in that small of a tank. What about one of the smaller gobies? Pretty limited on options for fish IMO.
    I'm not familiar with that system myself but the lights are recommended for low to moderate light corals, not good for a nem and I believe 8 gal is too small for a clown.

4. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

That's what I wanted to know before I start stocking. Any soft corals you could recommend?

5. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

I like the little clown gobies, or something like a banded or possum wrasse.

There are some really cool rhodactis, or yuma out there. Ricordia are cool but prefer the prior mentioned.

6. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

7. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

A clown (ONE) and an anemone can be done in that tank, however keep in mind anemones aren't for beginners and the kind that will host clowns, will outgrow that tank.

I would stick with 1 clown goby or 1 cleaner/gold cleaner/sharknose goby.

As vinny mentioned, PHOTOSYNTHETIC gorgonians are pretty easy, extremely underrated, and beautiful corals that do fine in nanos. I keep 3 in my biocube 14.

8. Click Here!

9. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Thanks for the suggestions as well as the warnings. The gorgonians are something I'd not considered before. Are they difficult to keep fed? They must need filter food like phyto and oyster eggs?

10. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

The only food mine gets is whatever fish food it happens to catch.Just make sure its a photosynthetic gorg. Aquascapers has good selection of these and shows you which ones need supplemental feeding.

Eco-Gorgs™ - AQUASCAPERS

11. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Gregarious are defiantly on the short list. I just realized that I'm not ready to put anything in the tank yet. Just got the eshopps nano skimmer yesterday and not sure how it works yet. Also have an eheim Jagger heater that I realized is too warm. It was 83 yesterday when I went to check the temp. Having some confusion getting it set. I guess you are supposed to wait one or two days for it to break in then set it from there?

12. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Most manufacturers recommend 24 hours after each adjustment before changing the setting again.