Suggestions For lighting

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by SpecailEd, Dec 29, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SpecailEd

SpecailEd Astrea Snail

For me, so far the most confusing thing for setting up my tank is the lights... I been checking out the links, and reading up, and there are so many combos, and opinions on the web, and it seems the lfs wants to sell you anything... This is what i have, a 90 gallon tank, rectangular, and over it are two light " light fixtures " that hold two bulbs, that run the length of the tank, so 4 bulbs all together. the bulbs alternate |w||b||w||b| Each tube light twists in seperatly , And so far, no problems with this lighting, however, only have zoo's polyps and mushrooms. wanting to add leathers, and eventually hard corals. But im worried about my lighting. I know its not the best right now, but when i can upgrade it, what do i need to goto? or what is suggested to goto? Metal Halide Lights ? This is gonna be my next big investment.. not sure when i will invest though hehe

2. Click Here!

3. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

Hey se are the standard or vho?

4. Iceman30

Iceman30 Astrea Snail

check out the retro fits on http://www.hellolights.com/retligsys.html

you can build anything you want from vho, pc to 400 watt MH, and with the depth of a 90 go with at least 250 mh...if you can fit, use 2, 250 retros with ushio 10k bulbs, and use existing bulbs but go actinic in all to give the right spectrum of light..Ushio is my fav bulb, much more par..if you run on electronic ballast, you can switch bulbs to anything you want later..if you run coil and cap...there are 3 diffrent kinds and that kind of keeps you in the German, HQI, or American/Europe bulbs..check out this thread on ballasts..long but good and the other thread on 250 watt bulbs and color temp.
    http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=201570

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=254667

HOPE THIS HELPS...MAY CONFUSE MORE THOUGH !!!! GOOD LUCK

5. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

I have been checking and Matt has been looking at E-Ballast MH.
    Some other reefers have said this is the best to get as it takes less electricity and will power all bulbs correctly. I do not have this but leaning towards this ballast for the future.

6. Iceman30

Iceman30 Astrea Snail

yup, electronic ballast will fire all bulbs correctly, slightly less power usage and slightly lower bulb temps....but electronics are electronics..I use coil and cap for year with no problems, but my prefrence..if had $ would try electronic now..I imagine they have their ducks in a row

7. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

The money you save on the electric bill every month will buy you the bulbs..:D

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I've looked at e-ballasts true.. but I was just looking, my old school ballast is working fine and I love my new bulb. If I didn't have any of it all ready, I would really be looking at the combos.. ballasts and bulbs.. and seeing what I prefered. Some seem to work better than others.. a lot of choices though overall..