Suggestions for a T5 Fixture

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by kwmjones, Dec 26, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kwmjones

kwmjones Flamingo Tongue

My new tank will be 48 x 24 x 16, still undecided between MH and T5 combo or just T5 - I've seen some pretty amazing SPS tanks running just T5 and with less heat and more bulbs to play with colors, I'm leaning T5. What is the best value fixture currently on the market for a tank my size? I don't need dimming capabilities, but would like to know how many bulbs and what other people are using on similar tanks with SPS. Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. Reef2Keep

Reef2Keep Purple Spiny Lobster

Check out TEK lights. I had one on my last tank. Super affordable, well built and they look great. For that size you'll want at least 6 bulbs, and the units run in 48" sizes. Lots of color options too when you have a higher bulb fixture.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

If the tank is 24" deep then 4 bulbs other wise 6 bulbs to get coverage. TEK and ATI are considered the best generally. AquaticLife linkable fixtures or regular fixtures are also very good. Their bulbs on the other hand are just average.

ATI, Geisemann, UVL and Aqua Science are considered the top of line bulbs and are highly recommended for a SPS tank. Regardless of which fixture you get I suggest hanging the fixture 30" above the sand.

5. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I believe the tank is 24" in width. I think 6-8 is necessary to cover that, correct?

6. N00ZE

N00ZE Eyelash Blennie

My suggestion would be to get LEDS

7. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

If you want T5's, then I would get a 6-8 bulb unit, whether the tank is 24" tall or 24" wide.

8. Click Here!

9. kwmjones

kwmjones Flamingo Tongue

Ok so I pulled the trigger on the TEK T5 unit - 8 lamps and 48" long - picked it up new for $280 including shipping so comparing that to the LEDs and others I was looking at, its about 1/4 of the cost - I realize I have to replace bulbs every year but am really happy with my purchase.

Next question, I assume the stock lamps aren't good for SPS, so what arrangement on an 8 lamp fixture would you guys recommend?

Cheers!

10. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

Congrats on the fixture!!!!! I'll let someone else answer your question :)

11. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

What bulbs come with it?

I would suggest eventually buying ATI bulbs (about $20 each). 2in10 can help you achieve the correct mix of tubes to achieve optimal growth.

12. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid

Ummmmm 8 bulbs on a 24" wide tank?

Stock bulbs will be FINE for the next year.
    You may have to mount that light up a bit as it is very powerful for that sized tank.