such thing as PVC glue?

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Amass78, Feb 26, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Amass78

Amass78 Plankton

Hello everyone, I'm getting ready to get my tank set up. I have a 29g with a built in overflow, my question is...do i need to put glue on my pvc that goes into my gasket where it drains, or could i leave it as it is and shove it into the gasket? Im afraid that it will come loose and water will spill all over the place. If i should glue it, what do you recommend? Thanks for your help, its my first saltwater tank and overflow.

2. Click Here!

3. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

If it has a rubber O ring or gasket then NO GLUE is needed.

Got a picture?

4. JOER0178

JOER0178 Peppermint Shrimp

This is probably unusual but when i first setup my tank I had an O ring at my bulk head but I still had a small leak.  The guy at my LFS came and glued it Im not sure what he used, I think its the same silicone used to hold the tank together, but I will ask on Sat when I go there.  He also had to glue the PVC piping going to my sump.  He used some blue stuff.  Again ill ask what it was on Sat

5. Amass78

Amass78 Plankton

Thanks for replying, i really appreciate it.

Sorry I dont have any pics yet...Well, I have a gasket for the hole and there is an O ring, and i will put a PVC inside the gasket so it could hold the tubing to drain the water. I was just wondering if i should put any glue on the PVC to slip into the gasket so it wont slip off.

Thanks JOER0178 for asking. I just dont want a nightmare when i wake up with water all over my room

6. JOER0178

IMO I WOULDN'T GLUE IT UNTIL THERES A LEAK. IF ITS NOT BROKEN... IF THERE IS A BIG LEAK YOU WOULD KNOW IT RIGHT AWAY AND YOU CAN CHECK FOR A SLOW LEAK BY COMPLETELY DRYING WHERE THE 2 PIECES JOIN AND AFTER A COUPLE OF MINUTES TAKING A DRY PIECE OF PAPERTOWEL AND PUTTING IT IT THE AREA WHERE THE 2 PIECES MEET. IF THE TOWEL GETS A LITTLE WET THERES A LEAK.

7. Amass78

Amass78 Plankton

Thanks for the fast reply JOE...I guess i'll go with your way and see what's up.

8. Click Here!

9. JOER0178

NO PROBLEM IM HAPPY I CAN HELP FOR ONCE I NORMALLY JUST TAKE TAKE TAKE ADVICE

10. Amass78

Amass78 Plankton

LOL...same here, there's so much to learn in this hobby, that's one of the reasons why I am so interested in it.

11. JOER0178

I COULDNT AGREE MORE

12. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Are you tlalking about a bulkhead inside an overflow? Is it inside a box that water spills into? If so, you don't need to glue the "stand pipe" that sits inside the bulkhead. If your talking about the exit side of the bulkhead, I would indeed glue it. I will be in Hayward this sunday if you need a little assistance. I won't be around for long as I'm just there to pick up a coral shipment, but I could wuickly show you.

Gresham