Sucess - Live Hawaiian Souvenirs - 6 new fish

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by SkyFire, Jun 7, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

Why do people fish or hunt when they can go to a grocery store? It's in the challenge of the chase. If i can't catch a fish, and I'm not holding my breath...I mean how hard is it to even catch a fish in a box of water we call an aaquarium let alone in the open ocean.

If I can't catch what i want then I'll go to an LFS to buy it there which is much cheaper than i nmy area or even ordering plus w/o the shipping charge and stress on the fish. Since I'll be in possesion of the fish I can be sure they aren't jostled too much to have a more peaceful trip home.

2. Click Here!

3. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

umm...okay.

dont know where all that came from. but you do have a point about having the fish with you the whole time.

4. Travis45

Travis45 Scooter Blennie

I went to Kauai and stayed for 8 nights a few years back. I snagged a nice looking piece of LR that for some reason was up near the beach. It was about the size of a 16 oz water bottle. I wrapped it up with some some wet newspaper and then triple bagged it. I put it in with carry on luggage. After they scanned my carry on, the agricultural agent called me over. He asked me to remove the rock from my bag. He examined it very closely and I guess was satisfied that it was just a piece of rock. So thankfully it resides in my tank today. ;D I wish you luck, I think getting a hold of a manager at the airport is a must. If you don't, it will probably depend what agent you get and how good of a mood he/she is in for that day. :-/ Good luck and have a fun trip!!!

5. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

It's just that i dont see it as trouble and will save me some big bucks if i can bag some HI flame wrasses myself. I aalso have a bit of a rebel streak so the challenge of getting past the TSA & AG inspection is fine by me. Also w/hand carrying them home they'll be in the bag less than 12hrs.

For the price of a few flame wrasses alone I could nearly get the skimmer for my 113g so.....
    Interesting info:
    The HI Dept. Of Land &to Natural Resources allows you toto catch up to 5 fish/day/person & can't revoke an aquarium fish licence

By the way am a dudette :cheesy:

6. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

Thanks, I'm there for 9 days.

You're lucky to have got it through as it is my understaning it is illegal, perhaps because it had no hard coral (illegal to harvest) that they decided to be lenient. It seems that softies &to feather dusters are ok though and mushrooms (should you find them since they arenon native).

7. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

SkyFire,

When I lived in Boynton Beach Florida, (near Ft. Lauderdale) I caught all my own livestock, and used ACTUAL sea water for all my water and WC's.

The easiest way, is while snorkeling or Scuba, I used a 'slurp' gun. I watched smaller fish and when you got near, they would hide in the rock crevices and holes. Put the end of the gun over a hole and 'slurp' it up!
    It was so cool, cause sometimes you were amazed what came out of the hole and into the cylindrical plexiglass gun! Catches like, small Grey Angels, etc., etc.

Unless you have a device like this, it is next to impossible to trap a fish without harming it.

Go for it.

8. Click Here!

9. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

Great advice & idea, I found out how to make my own using PVC pipe, so I got the supplies to make one. I think it sounds like a great device to catch those problem fish in ones tank ;D

10. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

Came home expecting my order of waterproof bags for my cell & camera, alas they're still not here....grrr. I did however get my HI Division of Aquatic Resources "Fishing" License to collect aquarium fish in non protected areas of Hawaii. So I'm very excited as I also got the slurp gun tentatively ok'd for carry on baggage (depending on what the agents on duty say of course).

11. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

Well I ended up just buying my fish, 6 in total, they made it back home safe and sound as my carry-on personal item in a Styrofoam cooler.

I'll post a thread with what I got and pics, right now am trying to upload all my vacation pictures.

I fed them today and they all ate
    :2thumbsup :drummer: :fish::goldfish::fish:

12. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid