Sucess - Live Hawaiian Souvenirs - 6 new fish

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by SkyFire, Jun 7, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. konadiver

konadiver Astrea Snail

HA! I am a personal trainer, fitness instructor (24 hour fitness) and a bodybuilder....She and I worked out every day sometimes twice...I still gained 12lbs in 15 days! :p

2. Click Here!

3. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

Disheartening as I've just droped 10-15 lbs and hope to loose far more before the trip.

So do you still think that store bough fish would be hard to get on the plane?
    I'll talk to a TSA manager when I arrive as suggested keep the reiepts etc....

4. konadiver

konadiver Astrea Snail

Really...yes. I would ship it back through the fish store...they know how to do those things! What are you wanting? I' getting a Kole and lavander tang from there any day now!

5. N00ZE

N00ZE Eyelash Blennie

I actually want to see you with pictures after this happens.. the airlines may say you can but TSA will most likely use a box of gloves on you coming back :p jk. Have a good one bro.

6. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

I am gonna try and get the fish on board with me, i don't really want to have to pay for the shipping or wait @ home for them to show up (besides who knows how rough they'd be handled if shipped (pprobably about what a piece of luggage labeled "Fragile" gets treated like. Besides there's a little part of me wanting to buck the rules (especially stupid interpretations of them) a bit, but mostly I want their trip to be less stressful and to have them when I get home.

Edit
    i'll of course post the outcome &my pics of the new additions.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
  7. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

Found this
    I know this fact to be true. I have brought back a few fish on planes since the liquid ban. Most recently with my Bandit angel from Honolulu. You have to ok it with the airline and ensure that the gate TSA security people are aware of it. All I had to do was ensure that the fish was visible and if needed I could open one of the outer bagsso they could test.

You MUST tell them that this is a pet they cannot deny a pet as long as it is placed in the proper container and the bag is leak proof.

And this
    I am going to be out in LA this weekend, and was going to visit some of the local fish stores and maybe a wholesaler. I thought some might find the email I received from TSA interesting.

Thank you for your e-mail regarding the Transportation Security Administration's (TSA) policy for carrying live fish onboard a commercial airline.

Live fish are not prohibited in the sterile area. The fish must be swimming in water that is contained in a clear, plastic, spill-proof container. This will allow the Transportation Security Officer at the screening checkpoint to visually inspect the fish. An x-ray of the fish and the container should not be required. Additionally, as long as the fish is swimming in water, then the liquid amount is not limited by 3-1-1 requirements. This is because fish cannot survive in liquid explosives which are the threats that the 3-1-1 requirements are designed to address. Please refer to TSA's website at TSA | Transportation Security Administration | U.S. Department of Homeland Security for more information on the 3-1-1- restrictions.

Regardless of whether an item, such as live-fish, is on the prohibited or permitted items list, TSA security screening personnel have discretion to prohibit travelers from carrying any item through the screening checkpoint or onboard an aircraft if the item poses a security threat. Therefore, the TSA security screening personnel at the checkpoint make the final decision on whether to permit items into the secured area of the airport.

Passengers should also check to see if their airlines have further restrictions regarding traveling with live fish prior to arriving at the airport.

We hope this information is helpful

8. Click Here!

9. Larz_1

Larz_1 Bristle Worm

Good Luck ... The last time my wife and I were there, we got a whole lot of "stink eye" just for mentioning that we had a saltwater aquarium at home.

With all the ruckus around the aquarium fish trade in Hawaii right now, I can only imagine what it would be like actually trying to bring a LIVE fish back with you as a tourist.

IMO ... enjoy your trip, show respect, take pictures, leave only footprints and order your Hawaiian fish from any of the numerous online vendors when you get home.

Just my $0.02

BTW ... I am VERY jealous.
    We absolutely LOVE Hawaii and were very disappointed that we could not afford to return this summer.

10. konadiver

konadiver Astrea Snail

+1
    The stink eye part is very true....

11. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

I can live with "stink eye" and have applied for an aquarium permit to allow me to get a few fish myself.

Just a thought, why is getting a few fish for my tank any different than fishing?
    So why the stink eye, they wouldn't do the same to an angler.

Only 11 days to go...wooohoo!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  12. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

Dude, instead of going through all this trouble, just order the fish from Hawaii and have it sent to your front door.

One, if not the best fish vendors available.
    Pacific Island Aquatics