Success With My First Food!

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by PackLeader, Feb 8, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

So today I went at it with my first home made food attempt. I mixed scallops, mussels, and shrimp with a little broccoli and spinach. Threw in some selcon and garlic. Ran it through the food processor with a little water, then froze it in a bag.
    EVERYTHING in my tank is going nuts for this stuff! I even have my mandarin and singapore angel eating it. And best of all, it cost me about $6 to make nearly 2 pounds of food ;D
    So what are some of your guy's recipes? Any suggestions on mine since this is my first?

2. Click Here!

3. RobK13090

RobK13090 Astrea Snail

you just reminded me that i could do this lol im doing it tomarrow with perch, smelt, clams, krill, romain lettuce, seaweed (by the way ANYONE WHO BUYS SEAWEED PACKETS FROM YOUR LFS, STOPPP! the grocerie store sells the same stuff as a sushi ingredient) beefheart, garlic, and whatever else grabs my attention at the store. im also going to put a grate ontop of it during freezing to put grooves into it to help it break into neat little cubes......great now im all excited now and i have school in the morning, jeez.....

4. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

Sounds good, I'll take two & a combo # 5. Can I super size it? lol.. You can also buy very small icecube trays similar to the brine shrimp gumballs. That way it will be alot easier to serve. Just an idea. Good mix on the food. Did you use garlic power or minced?

Also, keep in mind. ALL scallops are soaked in sodium tripolyphosphate (SPT) to prolong shelf life, cut smell, & very important increase weight (SPT causes scallops to absorb water). SPT has been linked to being a water pollution. When buying scallops, try to buy them dry. Note: dry scallops tend to cost more & has a gasier smell. I used to work on waterfront & have first hand on this... Still have friends that own scallop boats here in NE...

I forgot to add, Dry scallops are very sticky & pastey to the touch.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  5. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

I used minced garlic. I just take a small spoon and mush some down in the jar to collect the juice.
    I have no idea on the scallops. Just the kind at the seafood department (frozen). I will have to check into that, but seafood selection here is very limited

6. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

Ah, I forgot to ask about the juice.. Good.. Ya, NV is tuff... Also, there are different scallops. There are Sea Scallops, Bay Scallops, & imported cheap Chinese Bay Scallops. Sea Scallops are the biggest average sizes ranging from a 1 1/4 to 2 1/2 inches across. Bay Scallops are very sweet & average size to a nickle. Chinese Bay Scallops are junk, very watery & milky. People try to pass them off as Bay Scallops. Also note I have seen people use Skate Wings & make wanabe scallops since the texture is pretty similar. What does a bag go for out there & what count? Count is how many it takes to make a pound. Similar measurement to shrimp.

7. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

I do know for a fact that they were farmed US bay scallops.
    I have no idea on the count. $5.99 a pound here.

8. Click Here!

9. james37128

james37128 Coral Banded Shrimp

My recipe is similar but I also add squid, fish eggs (roe), and use nori (seaweed) sheets instead of broccoli and spinach.

10. ALW

ALW Sea Dragon

So you guys are saying that as I go fishing I can just save a piece of squid here a shrimp there - Blend it all together and make the fishes food. hmmmm......

11. Arcain41

Arcain41 Coral Banded Shrimp

What a great idea. I have been buying god knows what, minced up for a ton of money. I cant wait. Tomorrow its only the best for my fish. I am so glad I found this website.