stupid ice cube

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by stepho, Jan 6, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

Today is frozen food day for my fish, which they really enjoy and go crazy for. So 6 o'clock comes and I toss in the ice cube of shrimp guts. Water is a little green (bad lights probably), so it wasn't too hard to lose sight of the cube. Next thing I notice I see a few pieces of shrimp falling into the over flow, so I am thinking what the heck how am I going to get those out of there... then I noticed that the shrimp cube is stuck up against the side of the over flow, so I am like "CRAP!" and I reach in there to pull it away, when it falls apart and everything blows into the over flow....

I spent the last hour picking tiny shrimp out of the filter floss. :angry:

Also am I over feeding under feeding or just right? I alternate daily between a pinch of sinking pellets, and a cube of frozen plankton. live stock is in the sig.

2. Click Here!

3. NU-2reef

NU-2reef Montipora Digitata

how bout some dried seaweed for the tangs. most fish enjoys some veggies in the diet.
    how fast do they finish the cube. should only take 3 minutes or so. if more than 5 min. your probably over feeding

4. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that I do keep dried seaweed on a veggie clip in two different locations for the tangs. I would say they eat the bulk of it in 3 minutes or so. Some small pieces do sneak by, but they scour the ground/rocks/sponges until they find all of it, and keep searching even after that. I would say they probably eat the bulk of it in 3 minutes, and find all the scraps by five minutes.

5. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

I would recommend that you thaw (and possibly rinse) before feeding the frozen "ice cubes".

6. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

I agree 100% I never understood people just thowing in a cube and letting it go. I use a dropper and mete out a little at a time right by/into a power head to disperse the food all over the tank, very little gets into the over flow.

7. bc219

bc219 Millepora

First of all I think your green water thing should be addressed, that can get out of hand quick.

Second, I don't know how many fish you have but you probably don't need to throw in a whole cube. When my fish get a TREAT (once or twice a month) I give them about 1/4 of a cube and I thaw it in a small dish and squirt it down in the water with a turkey baster so it's not floating around on the surface only to go into the overflow.

I feed my fish the following:

2 pinches of New Life Spectrum small pellets every other day
    1" square of green seaweed on a clip on the in between days (which really isn't required it's just a snack)
    The only time they really get the frozen food snack is if I'm feeding it to an acan, anenome, etc something like that and they are able to get some then.

8. Click Here!

9. bbsbliss

bbsbliss Ritteri Anemone

I feed Rod's, and also thaw beforehand. 7 fish get about a fingertip-size chunk, and about 3 times a week. It doesn't get a chance to sink before its eaten, and very little goes to the overflow. I also do not turn off my powerheads to feed. My residents are fat and happy with that and some seaweed.

10. bc219

bc219 Millepora

I must add that I scrolled up and saw how many fish you have (I said previously I didn't know how many) but that doesn't really matter. Tangs like seaweed a lot, get the green stuff from the link I posted and it holds together well and they will eat the heck out of it with little waste. Let them "forage for food" as I call it, on the off days of feeding (every other day is fine for feeding in general) and consider the sinking pellets instead of the frozen food.

11. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

I always thaw my cubes in a specimen cup and I also feed cubes every day. But I split them between 2 tanks.

12. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

I feed frozen food/sinking pellets/and seaweed. I started thawing it and it works better. I alternate daily between sinking pellets and frozen food. When I feed sinking pellets I do it in two small pinches. I put the first pinch in and when they have eaten it all I put in another, which they also eat all of.

I have just started feeding frozen food on dec 31. The first three feedings (31st, 2nd, 4th) I just tossed in the cube and didn't have any trouble with it. Then on the 6th it got sucked into the overflow. Yesterday I thawed it out, it worked better. Even if it hadn't really worked I still would have to thaw it because I am adding garlic extract.

I usually keep two clips of seaweed in there at all times. I figured it was better to keep two clips. The powder brown generally doesn't like to share his clip. The two zebrasomes get along great surprisingly (bought them together though and they were already paired) and share the other clip.