Stung by Live Rock?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by bama, Mar 4, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bama

bama Humpback Whale

I was rearranging my LR today into a new stack and while holding a piece of LR my hand was stung by something in multiple places. The sting felt about half the intensity of a bee sting but in about 8 different places on my hand.. not fun!

any ideas as to what the heck could have done this?

2. Click Here!

3. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Probably a bristle worm

4. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

You got stung by a bristle worm. I think many of us have been stung by one once or twice. This is perfect example of why we are supposed to wear gloves. Run your hand under warm water for a bit and make sure you dont push the bristles in farther if they are still there. It will be a bit sore for a few days. Best of luck

5. bama

bama Humpback Whale

well I dont particularly care for them.. any good ways to remove them?

6. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

I think it's nigh impossible to completely eradicate a saltwater aquarium of them. Besides, they are generally beneficial. Get some gloves and you will be better off. Believe me, I speak from experience.

7. bama

bama Humpback Whale

is there anything else which I should watch for in a new tank which might bite, pinch, or sting? haha

8. Click Here!

9. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

mantis shrimp a.k.a. "thumb splitters"

10. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Well, just about anything can ;D Heck, I had to move a frag last night and one of my clownfish got me good enough to draw a little blood ;) Doesnt hurt too much, but it will scare the you know what outta you if you don't see it coming. Man, they hate it when I get near their zoa rock :cheesy: My torch will peel the first layer of skin off. Zoa's are fully capable of actually killing a man ;)

11. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

Get gloves and you won't have to worry about it anymore!

12. That Guy

That Guy Aiptasia Anemone

if you get stung as many times as i have been then you will eventually get imuned hahah or you can get some gloves...either or will work :) or you can try getting hit by a rabbitfish or a basketball sized diadema...then bristleworms dont seem all that bad :)