'stuff' floating ontop of the waterline

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by SyntheticBreed, Oct 15, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SyntheticBreed

SyntheticBreed Feather Duster

Im currently setting up a 55g tank and after getting the salinity just right I added the sand Friday morning. After doing so I had a layer of foam ontop of the tank that eventually went away but theres still some white stuff at the top of the tank parallel from the side of the tank with the powerhead. [​IMG]
    Does anyone know what this is and how to get rid of it? I was told to keep the filters off until the cycle is complete so that isn't an option.

2. Click Here!

3. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Did you rinse your sand? Just looks like debris from that. You can run a filter for a bit to help get rid of it, or manually scoop it out.

4. SyntheticBreed

SyntheticBreed Feather Duster

I did not rinse my sand - wouldn't that have killed all the beneficial bacteria that the live sand offers?

5. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

OHH, you used livesand, then this just kinda happens with this stuff, did you add the little bag of sediment magnet stuff that was in the bag?

It should calm down in a few days, or you can run just some mechanical filters, like floss in a hob filter, or a filter sock in your sump to help clear it up.

6. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

+1 on what cosmo said, this is normal with live sand, or even dead sand too if not thoroughly rinsed (which is a pita). Throw some filter floss or sponge in an HOB filter if you had one or the filter sock in sump, you'll be clear and clean in no time.