Strontium Dosing Needed?

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by Astrick117, Jun 16, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

I just got two new frags- one purple Stylophora and an orange monti digi courtesy of a nice swap with bbrian189. I know have about 6 SPS frags and at least as many LPS. Do I need to worry about dosing strontium? I already measure/dose for cal, mag, alk.

Anything else I should keep an eye on?

2. Click Here!

3. vankirk

vankirk Sea Dragon

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Generally if you are doing regular WC there should be no need as salt mixes have more Sr than found in the oceans.

1 person likes this.
  5. HollyG

HollyG Teardrop Maxima Clam

+1 my thoughts exactly! I have 15+ hard corals (most SPS) and all I dose is cal and alk... Everything else gets replenished with water changes.

1 person likes this.
  6. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

Thanks everyone! I'll keep up my WC's and get some pics up shortly.

7. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Watch the big 3 and do regular partial waterchanges. Add a low end phosphate test to your list as you get further into SPS. Phosphate probably the largest impact on SPS color of any parameter.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

I actually have a phosphate test, but every time I've tested it has been 0. I do have a few small patches of nuisance algae, that I think are eating up a lot of it. I just switched to a HOB refugium with chaeto from an Emperor 400 and I have seen a lot of progress in terms of the algae starting to recede.

10. proreefer

proreefer Feather Star

i think its use is primary for acropora, i haven't had to add it for any other coral, acropora seems to need this eliment, salt mixes will not bring the % of stronium up to the level of seawater 8 to 12 mg/L is what i try to maintain for the acro but i have found that it does not have to be constant to have good acro growth if alk and cal are maintained and occasionally add stronium for the acros health it seems to work for me.

11. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

I wouldn't add any and I have a nice little acro forest. If I needed more, I'd W/C more. I know many large systems with Acros and none of us are dosing strontium. If you decide you need too, make sure you are testing for it... even then the hobby grade tests have a lot of noise in them (they aren't very accurate)

It's listed on a ton of sites as needed, but w/c does what we need.