Strange Little Snails

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Camkha1234, Jan 28, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

Just a few days ago I had noticed a bunch of these little snails at the bottom of my tank and on my glass. They have a cone-shaped shell and range from a light to dark brown. Please Help! I need to know if they are parasites or not.

2. Click Here!

3. tom.n.day

tom.n.day Eyelash Blennie

Do you have a picture? Based on your description I think they are just baby snails but it could be many things

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Take a looks at this link and you may find an ID.

Indo Pacific Snails

"Cone shaped at the bottom on the glass" reminds my of experiences with Pyramid snails. Do you have clams?

5. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Aren't pyramids usually white?

Do you have dwarf ceriths? I'm always finding little dwarfs in the chaeto I cull. Sometimes I'll see them on the glass in the DT too.

6. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

im guessing cerith or baby nassarius! I have alot of baby nassarius that sound similar!

7. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

I agree, a pic might help.

What kind of snails do you have for CuC?

8. Click Here!

9. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

I am still cycling so I don't have any inverts yet. I am thinking that they may have been from the live rock I bought 2 weeks ago, but they only showed up about 4 days ago. My live rock was already cured when I bought it at my lfs.

About the picture: I am currently trying to find my iPod touch which has a camera. I'll post pics when I find it!

10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Definitely, but I have had seem some creamed colored ones.

Hopefully Pagojoe will see the thread.

11. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

Google Collinista sp. snail. I have a lot of these, they breed successfully in my aquarium, only come out at night and they came in as hitch hikers. Very good part of CuC even though they are small, they get their work done.

Not sure if this is what you're seeing - but these are a pretty common hitch hiker in our industry and are harmless
    [​IMG]
    Collinista sp

12. pagojoe

pagojoe Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Hey guys,

"Cone shaped" is a description that varies by the observer, from the shape of cone shells (which aren't very cone shaped) to top shells (which are cone shaped) to elongated, skinny shells (which are sort of cone shaped). I'm guessing these are kind of elongated and skinny? If you could get a pic of them, I could probably tell you what they are. In the absence of that, I'll just say that there aren't many (or any) brown, cone shaped snails that are parasitic or predatory, unless you consider sponge as prey. They are probably either small ceriths, which are detrivores, or Cerithiopsis species, which look like tiny ceriths but are spongivores. There are a few pyramidellids that are light brown, but the ones that turn up as pests in aquaria are usually the white ones. If you can get pics, I can probably help more.

Cheers,

Don