strange greenish-brown slime

Discussion in 'Algae' started by A4_Andre, Oct 23, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. A4_Andre

A4_Andre Astrea Snail

I've had my 75g tank set up since april which was an upgrade from a 30g that was set up. i was using tap water, but never really ran the lights long enough to have an algae problem. since the transition to the 75g and introducing corals i now run the lights more often. i dont have a cyno problem, and there was the brownish algae on the sand bed (i forget the name, but it starts with a D), but that has gone away. i have the 2 little fishies 150 phosban reactor, only use RO/DI water for the past 2 weeks from a stage 4, 18w UV, and i threw about a handful of Chaeto into the tank since i dont have a refugium. I also started using these packets yesterday in a water stream, i think it's called algone or something like that. it's supposed to remove ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and phosphates. my parameters are good except for nitrates, and unfortunately i dont remember the reading when i tested it.

What i'm left battling is this strange greenish-brown slime. almost looks like teardrops falling upwards and it does not grow in a clump. It tends to develope oxygen bubbles at the ends, but im not sure if this is because my 2 aquaC remora skimmers produce a lot of bubbles. I have been using an old toothbrush to remove it from the rocks and it does come off very easily, but seems make the water have a bad smell.

i tried to take pictures, but it's not easy with a point and shoot.

anyone have any idea? i cant find any pictures online either.

2. Click Here!

3. A4_Andre

A4_Andre Astrea Snail

also, sorry for the lack of some details. i'm posting this in the office.

4. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

Sounds like dinoflagellates, they can be a pain. Read up on them, there is another thread about them going on right now. As for the algae stuff your adding, I would say stop. Most of these don't work in Saltwater. You need to find out what causing them. Over feeding, phosphates, bad bulbs are common causes. Pics will help to ID exactly what you have.

Here is the thread. Does this look like what you have?

http://www.3reef.com/forums/algae/dinoflagellates-74614.html

5. A4_Andre

A4_Andre Astrea Snail

yeah, i just saw that post. the algae stuff is for saltwater, but works by reducing ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and phosphates.