Strange creatures in tank

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by aic007, Mar 29, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. aic007

aic007 Astrea Snail

The other night I came home and went to take some picks of the corals under the black light. As the light came on I noticed two of my rocks looked like they had broken open and in small spots and there were tiny white creatures crawling all over the place. I haven't seen them since so I figure they are hiding or were eaten, but they looked almost like tiny water bugs. about 1 or 2 centermeters with many legs and a couple of antennaes. are they pods, ore some other creature. Wondering how they broke out of the rock. In the hole there is some dark brown/black stuff. Will post some pics tomorrow of the holes. Around the area of one of the holes, the outside of the rock was white and is turning bluish to almost black. Any ideas?

Thanks,

aic

looking through older boards there was a question on what the screen names meant. Here goes,

aic = alice in chains
    007 = bond
    kinda play on both alice in chains bond ( bondage )
    couldn't just put aic when first signed on aol many moons ago soo I figured the bond part would round it out nice.

2. Click Here!

3. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Copepods, amphipods, etc. Sign of a healthy tank!

4. aic007

aic007 Astrea Snail

Thanks,

looked up amphipods and it did look something like the pic. Any reason why the rock is looking discolored, almost like it is dying.

5. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Cant be sure without a picture.

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

[quote author=aic007 link=board=ASAP;num=1080628901;start=0#0 date=03/29/04 at 22:41:41]Around the area of one of the holes, the outside of the rock was white and is turning bluish to almost black. Any ideas?
    [/quote]

That could just be coraline algae under the black light. The bugs are definitely pods. No worries either way.

7. aic007

aic007 Astrea Snail

Here is a pic of the rock, couldn't find any of the bugs.

8. Click Here!

9. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

your rock should be ok since it broke it looks like it might be a burgandy corraline it grows in lower light areas, the pods are normal and the more you have the better for the tank