Storing mixed water?

Discussion in 'Salt' started by PLyons, Feb 13, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

If that's true, I don't think you would want to use that salt anyways. Who wants chemistry changes in their tank?

2. Click Here!

3. Jlobes

Jlobes Coral Banded Shrimp

There are many reputable/quality salts, that should to be mixed long term or stored long term. Most of these are salt with "organics" in them. This is the main difference between salts that need mixing/stirring, and those that dont.

I am not a chemist/scientist but have done some research on this issue, as I store quite a bit of water(mixed and RO). If you feel like doing some reading, Randy Holmes-Farley, has some great points about this.

And Fsukum, do you think that your tank does not experience changes in chemistry/elemental make-up? why do we do water changes? dose two part? add supplements, etc? Also, what I am referring to is a precipitation of elements.

4. Vizzle1717

Vizzle1717 Coral Banded Shrimp

+1

In my experience, keep a 10 gallon reserve of salt and freshwater has been easy, I simply just added a cheap tetra heater and Hydor powerhead to my salt reserve. All has been well for me for years

5. PLyons

PLyons Astrea Snail

Ive been doing some testing of this since the original post. I have been periodically leaving water after mixing it and then testing it weeks later. All perams are staying stable, however I have noticed a bit of a slimey film left on the walls of the buckets and air line, heater etc. I'm guessing this is just some type of algae growth. At any rate, I have used this water after a month of storage with no issues! I use Reef Crystals and RO/DI water.

I am in the process of getting a ATO. Not sure on what to use though. I really like what I see from the Osmolator (spell check that!), but I'm just not in a position financially right now to pop on it! New kid coming in a week.........If history has anything to say about this, that is where all my money will be going!

6. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

The slime could be the biofilm-- the bacteria that forms during a cycle. I'd suggest testing ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate before using. If I'm correct, you're getting organics in the water.

7. Jlobes

Jlobes Coral Banded Shrimp

+1. RC is one of the salts that does contain organics. and thus, must be mixed if stored long term. apparently, IO does not have this issue. I cannot confirm this thru personal experience, but I have been doing a bunch of research on storing water lately.