Storing mixed water?

Discussion in 'Salt' started by PLyons, Feb 13, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PLyons

PLyons Astrea Snail

Is it ok to mix up buckets of salt water and then seal the buckes and let them sit? Normally I just mix 10-15 gal 24-48 hrs before I do water chages, but I was wondering if I could go ahead and mix again right after the water change ans store it for a few weeks?

My problem is, at the moment, I'm cheap and just use my home RODI drinking water system for water. The wife is getting frustrated when she goes to the tap and has no drinking water. I figure I can just pull a little water off at a time and add it to the bucket, then when I'm ready to to the WC I have it all ready.

2. Click Here!

3. KDtrey5

KDtrey5 Coral Banded Shrimp

I do it. I just shake it before I add.

4. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

U can store it. I would add a powerhead and heater if storing for a while though.

5. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

As long as the buckets are air-tight you'll be fine. I'd suggest aerating the water overnight before using after it's been stored.

6. skyvern2130

skyvern2130 Stylophora

Ik sometimes I get a bucket rdy and forget it and like a week later remember it. I keep a powerhead an heater in it not sure if its ok to do that

7. Mr. Bill

If it was left open, I'd suggest testing for ammonia before using; any organic contaminant could launch a cycle on you.

8. Click Here!

9. eddiecorrea

eddiecorrea Plankton

I've always heard storing it is bad. I don't store mine for more than a day.

10. Jlobes

Jlobes Coral Banded Shrimp

kind of a loaded question. but, long story short, it depends on what type/brand of salt you are using. Most can be stored, some need to be mixed while in storage. Others have a shift in elemental make up while in storage. So do your research.

Just like most questions in this hobby, you will get a variety of responses, indicating either way is acceptable.

11. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

My drinking water system in my house is under the kitchen sink, with a 4f storage tank. The RO side - it goes to a tap on the sink, and runs thru the basment to my frigs water and ice maker.

Also under the kitchen sink is my DI resin cannister- that runs thru the basement to my DIY auto top off system. Thats also t'd off to a line that I can fill my mixing bin (trash can on wheels).

I suggest using some valves, getting a DI resin cartridge, and filling at off usage time of the RO Water. Works for me, no more bucketing.

12. Mr. Bill

Exactly what's supposed to be bad about it? It's for certain that one can find a lot of misinformation in this hobby, but in my 39 years, I've not heard that once from a reputable source. Even in the early days, it was common practice to store a few gallons of premixed SW in case of an emergency.