stonefish care and where to get one.

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by Gexx, Sep 27, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

ok first off im a venemous fish fanatic. i love learning and caring for venemous fish. so naturally i want the biggest of the big and the baddest of the bad, the stonefish. i have spent time learning about the venom and what id does so dont think im just like, "itll only hurt for a second" i know the danger. i couldnt however, find out the tank specs. i just know that they only get to the size of a volitan lionfish and sit all day. i am guessing that a 55 gal. minimum would be in play here.i i know i would have to set up a new tank just for it. i know that getting one would eliminate all tank mates. i also know the bioload would be enormous. what im asking is are there any people that have one or have had one and what did they have tank wise for it. also where do you recomend i look for one when the time comes. liveaquaria only sell a look alike called a sea goblin. thanks in advance.

2. Click Here!

3. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Sounds pretty dangerous.

4. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

yea i know. ive heard of people keeping them very successfully in the home aquaria but never talked to anyone who has done it themself. i figured in the whole 3reef community hopefully one or two have kept them.... but maybe not.

5. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

If your LFS specializes in saltwater, they can easily order one. A 55 would be fine.

They are very boring fish IMO. As you noted, they sit all day long.

6. bwalker9801

bwalker9801 Zoanthid

I agree they aren't called stone fish for nothing, you could just throw a piece of lr in and get the same effect.

7. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

yea i know but i only have a 3o gallon and that would be WAY TOO small for him. i was thinking about other tank mates but the only ones i know would be a volitan lionfish and then im pushing it on bioload. ive got loads of time because its gonna be a long time till i get the money for the tank let alone the equipment.