Stocking Order Generalities

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by RogerL, Mar 22, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. RogerL

RogerL Fire Worm

i would like to start a thread that explains a few of the basics of stocking order, and favorite fish for different situations. in general, which fish should be added first? last? anytime? also, what are everyone's favorite fish for a FO tank? reef tank? my favorites so far ( i am very new to the hobby) are lionfish and angels, but i also LOVE my two blue damsels (my only fish in my 90g so far). they have so much personality! any suggestions for a good angel for my experience and tank size?

2. Click Here!

3. Wrassman

Wrassman Peppermint Shrimp

Hey Roger,

Is this still going to be a FOWLR tank? Or, is it now going to be a reef tank? Think carefully before you answer. Your answer will determine the direction of my next set of questions and assumptions (hint: lionfish and angels do NOT do well in a reef environment).
    [smiley=whip.gif]

Is this still a 90g tank? What is in there (substrate, live rock, filter, protien skimmer)? Did you or are you planning on adding a sump any time soon? When?

Sorry for all the questions, Roger. But you ought to know by know that I can't answer the questions without knowing where you are and where you want to go. It's better to get your answers from ONE source, Roger. Don't go to several different reefing forums and start playing us against one another. Just because one gave different information based on the limited information you are giving out, doesn't make you some kind of sweepstakes winner. [smiley=stars.gif] I would very much appreciate it if you would pick one forum (ours would be just fine) and stick with us throughout the process. Otherwise, you are going to get all kind of conflicting information; and believe me Roger, YOU DON'T NEED IT!!! [smiley=skull.gif]

I hope we can help you. Please allow us to do that. God bless you. [smiley=angel.gif]

4. RogerL

RogerL Fire Worm

yup, still FOWLR. 90g, i am up to 65lbs. of LR (i had to take some back because it was really lacking in coralline growth, and my fish store charges a lot ofr their LR, so i wanted just the best pieces).4 inches LS. eheim 2026 pro canister filter. two maxi-jet powerheads, Magnum H.O.T. (i only use it for water movement, as per your recommendation that it wasnt needed for filtration. i will use it for carbon on occasion). aquaC remora hang on protein skimmer. DIY spraybars on the powerheads and eheim (my LFS helped me make them). ammonia, nitrites at zero; nitrates, as of today, are at 5.ph 8.3 temp 78f. SG is 1.023. only two blue damsels in the tank right now. they will be removed later when big fish come, and placed in my girlfriends 35g hex that is currently cycling. thats all the pertinent information i can think of. tell me if you need more.

Quote-"Sorry for all the questions, Roger. But you ought to know by know that I can't answer the questions without knowing where you are and where you want to go. It's better to get your answers from ONE source, Roger. Don't go to several different reefing forums and start playing us against one another. Just because one gave different information based on the limited information you are giving out, doesn't make you some kind of sweepstakes winner. I would very much appreciate it if you would pick one forum (ours would be just fine) and stick with us throughout the process. Otherwise, you are going to get all kind of conflicting information; and believe me Roger, YOU DON'T NEED IT!!!" i think maybe you have the wrong idea. i am following the advise of only a few people. you, CMK II, and Craig are pretty much it. i am still under the impression you guys are spread across a few sites, my mistake if that is not the case. i am not trying to play anyone against anyone else. that would be childish and non-productive. the limited information was not intentional either, i was just asking a couple of general questions that i thought might be valuable to everyone. the reason for the questions are because my fish wish list has changed as i have learned more, and i am not sure which fish are great together, and witch need to be in the tank right away, or much later. sorry for any miscommunication. i didnt in any way intend to insult or p.o. anyone. you guys have been great, and invaluable in helping with my learning process (which i suspect will never be over :) )thank you guys again for all the patience and wisewords. didnt mean to disrespect you wrassman. ;) and i hope very much that you guys will continue to help me, and that eventually i will be able to help others. ;) God bless...

5. RogerL

RogerL Fire Worm

now, about that angelfish... ;)

6. CheckMateKingll

CheckMateKingll Feather Duster

Roger,,
    Stick with us , my man,,,,
    We will learn from you also....

7. Wrassman

I'm sorry if I came down too hard on you in my previous post. I just didn't want YOU to get the idea that we were going to play any games with you. I, honestly, do want to help you, Roger. So does Craig (last time I spoke with him) and CMKll. You will find CMKll and I right here, on 3R. Craig is still hanging at ER right now.

You are more than welcome, in fact I encourage you, to hang with us here most of the time. I feel that you will get the best, most consistent info on the net. If you need some help navigating around or can't find something you need, let me know and I'll show you where it is.

This is an awesome site, Roger. Hang around and you'll see what I mean. [smiley=wink3.gif]

8. Click Here!

9. RogerL

RogerL Fire Worm

of course i'm staying here. i like this site, and the "light switch" kicks ass :) its cool wrassman, everything is A-ok. :) now, how does my setup sound? and let me hear (read) what angels you guys think i should look at.

10. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

the best thing for stocking order is the least aggressive first the most aggressive last. u want  your least agg or shy fish to get there territories established before adding any more aggressive fish. most fish when listed for sale on the internet are usually marked with a level of care. your easy to care for fish are good for beginning or any time. most of your moderate to difficult fish should be added to the tank later like angels, tangs, mandarins for example.

my choice if i had a fo tank would be butterflies, small eel, dwarf lion, some angel type. for reef i love my clowns, gobies, blennys, tang, and chromises. if you are getting a lion fish you want an angel in comparable size to the adult size of the lion. they can eat anything they can fit in their mouths fish, crab, shrimp, anything. so i would say a full size angle not a dwarf check these out

large angels

it has pics, names and suggest tank size for each angel.
    what ever fish you want check out full adult size, minimum tank requirements, compatability, aggressiveness, feeding habits, level of care, and any special needs the fish may need to keep it a long time

you mentiond your lr and corraline growth you shouldnt have had to take your rock back. if its on any rock it should spread over all of it eventually. also having good calcium and alkalinity levels help with growth of corraline the rock itself has nothing to do with it not growing.
    as far as your damsels i would say hang on to them in  your tank until your girlfriends tank has finished cycling dont put them in while its doing this. the best way to cycle a tank is fishless. cycling on a fish even a damsel can be very stressful and hurtful to the fish. some damsels will make it but most fish wont live through it. throw a piece of table shrimp in the tank and let it run its coarse.

11. Wrassman

[glow=Orange, 1, 600]My absolute favorite of the large angels is the personifer. I have always been a fan of the cream angel too, but the personifer has a lot more color, and is quite a bit more robust, from what I hear (I've haven't had the good fortune to own a personifer yet -- maybe next year ;D ).[/glow]

[glow=Pink, 1, 600]Like I said, I do like the cream angels, too. I have owned one of those, and though they aren't as colorful as some of the other angels, they are still beautiful fish in their own right, and they are very intelligent and personable. They just make good pets. :)[/glow]​

[glow=Yellow, 1, 600]I LOVE ANGELS!!!!! [smiley=angel.gif][/glow]​

12. RogerL

RogerL Fire Worm

so should i add a calcium supplement on occasion to encourage coralline growth? i've never heard of a cream angel or a personifer; i am about to go look them up right now. :)