Stocking/Next add?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by jmann124, Sep 24, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mattb57

mattb57 Banned

At the time we had a little generator that could only power our Fridge/freezers. We have a much larger generator now that can power the tank besides the lights,(metal halide) but it does not solve the heat issue as the house without A/C will maintain a nice comfortable 98 f. I never had problems with Ich on my tangs. When I say I bought them small I mean like really small, with their small size they never really outgrew the tank. I have never kept multiple tangs at one time. I agree, but it's what we did and I have no regrets.

2. Click Here!

3. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

No worries bro, just chance are, sooner than later, its Ich outbreak time when you add tangs like that. And its not a good idea. Can ya make it for awhile, yeah, forever, prob not in a 75. And if ya do corals, then tearing a tank apart to catch a fish to rehome is a nightmare. Just alot more work and prep is needed than its no big deal.

4. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Do not want to sidetrack this thread anymore but I live in Florida have been through many hurricanes and lost power for over two weeks with one week being the norm.I use simple battery powered air pumps to keep my fish alive and although it is hot here temp. problems have never killed anything. Here are some links for you to read Matt.

http://www.3reef.com/forums/general-reef-topics/minimum-tank-sizes-selection-animals-137158.html

http://www.3reef.com/forums/new-hob...general-rules-successful-aquarium-126326.html

5. United417

United417 Bristle Worm

i would certainly follow the advice given from both Vinnyboombatz and cosmo, both have lead me (and many others) in the right direction countless times..that being said, i really like Copperband, as does my lady friend, BUT would only purchase one/recommend the purchase of one that has been SEEN eating, preferably frozen or even dried. as for other fish i would recommend, definitely look into rabbitfish, the spine shouldn't deter you from a truly wonderful fish imo, and some wrasses (there are species that get bigger, but are more of a concern in terms of reef compatibility. ie Halichoeres cosmetes, Halichoeres claudia (these are 2 of my favorites but there are many other Halichoeres out there)) HTH

6. United417

United417 Bristle Worm

7. jmann124

jmann124 Feather Duster

The Copperband is what my wife is in love with. That's the biggest reason for considering that fish. Although, I like the looks of them myself and was watching one at a LFS and it was very active and I really enjoyed watching it. But, I would/will not buy any fish that I haven't seen being fed before. That's how I did my 2 clowns and that's how my goby was. If the guy at the store can't get it to eat while he's there all day every day, then I don't want to take the chance that my 5-6 hours at night will work.

8. Click Here!

9. mattb57

mattb57 Banned

Yes I used battery air pumps and they are a life saver. One reason the tank gets so hot is because it is upstairs :p(adds an extra 10 degrees or so) Power usually takes longer to get here than most places because I live in a small town and usually Jefferson and New Orleans Parishes are priority. I know you understand Hurricanes because you live in Florida, but all of our power lines run through the marsh which makes it even longer. Katrina took a little over 2 weeks to get power. I have never had Ich problems with my tangs, I'm not sure how I got away with a fish like that but, I did and multiple times. I will not be introducing any tangs until I upgrade ;) so don't worry

10. United417

United417 Bristle Worm

i completely understand!and am glad you take such precautions when purchasing fish, many do not. good luck with the tank!

1 person likes this.
  11. dellyjoe

dellyjoe Teardrop Maxima Clam

i had a copperband butterfly fish, and i added him before i put corals into the tank, and he never niped at my corals, but you never know. copperband butterfly fish are also hard to get feeding, before you take him home if you end up going with him, make sure he is eating first.

12. jmann124

jmann124 Feather Duster

Well, We pulled the trigger this weekend and got a Copperband Butterfly. My wife picked one out and we brought it home yesterday. When I went to bed last night it was swimming around checking things out. I noticed it nipping at some of the rocks. Last week i noticed that I had some Pileolaria, so, I figure that's what he was nipping at. That's a good sign from what I read about those fish.