Stocking a 55 gallon reef

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by BTB0923, Oct 13, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. BTB0923

BTB0923 Flamingo Tongue

So I'm ready to put fish in my 55 gallon reef tank and I'm looking for suggestions as to what I should get. I would like really colorful and interesting fish but I know the whole reefsafe part narrows down the options a bit.

Here are some that I am interested in:

Powder Blue Tang
    Onespot Foxface Rabbitfish
    Hippo Tang
    Coral Beauty
    Flame Angel
    Goby/Pistol Shrimp Pair (looking for colorful Goby suggestions)
    Mandarin Goby

There is already an occelaris clown and a damsel in the tank but I am going to remove the damsel. I'm probably going to get four fish total in addition to the clown that is already in there. Any reason a four fish combo of any of the above wouldn't work in a 55 gallon reef tank??

Any other interesting suggestions for stock??

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. divott

divott Giant Squid

ive gfot 3 of those fish on your list. so will just relate my experiences wwith them. the 1 spot is a great fish, very timid. its grown quite well and is very hardy. but they can get to be a good size. mine i got when it was 4 inches long , its now 6. so you might consider it possibly getting too big and taking up fish room. ive got both the flame and coral beauty. they do get along fine , but may not work out for you. they havent nipped anything , corals or clam mantles. but they also come with a word of warning that they might. also the hippo tang is not really suitable for a 55. grow too big. anyways good luck with it all. and nice looking tank btb

4. BTB0923

BTB0923 Flamingo Tongue

ok thanks! What about the powder blue tang...would that be too big also?

I think I've decided my final stock will probably be:

occelaris clown
    orange spot goby w/ pistol shrimp
    foxface rabbitfish
    flame angel
    mandarin goby
    blue or purple fish (undecided, possibly purple tang or powder blue tang??)

would that be overstocked for a 55 gallon with a 20 gallon sump??

1 person likes this.
  5. divott

divott Giant Squid

imo , i think you would get overstocked having all those fish. i think you would have to have either the 1spot or the purple tang. having both might be too much. ive got the purple tang , great fish also. also how olds your tank? asking because of the mandarin, they need an established tank with lots-o-pods. lol.

6. BTB0923

BTB0923 Flamingo Tongue

Yeah, I know about the mandarin's diet. My tank is only 3 months old so I was probably going to hold off on getting one for a while. I do have a lot of pods on my live rock and in my sump already though.

7. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

You could probably house a small purple tang in there, I have a small yellow tang in my 55, but I would not put a powder blue tang in there and I would not have a foxface and a tang in a 55. They each get to be fairly large and would be very unhappy. I recently saw a 55 with a yellow tang and a blue hippo tang. The yellow tang was ok, but the blue hippo just hid behind the rock work and wasn't swimming around. It was a very sorry site to see. Many people dont' take into account that fish need room, but they do. Real effects such a disease and altered behavior result.

8. Click Here!

9. BTB0923

BTB0923 Flamingo Tongue

I suppose the corals would suffer because of the increased bio-load also. :( Tanks are never big enough are they? lol I guess I will have to settle for:

Flame Angel
    Mandarin Goby
    Occelaris Clown
    Orange Spot Goby w/ pistol shrimp

and some kind of blue (or darker colored) fish.....any suggestions on that?

purple tangs are too expensive and I think the yellow are too plain looking. Are there any other suitable darker colored tangs?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  10. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Maybe a Kole tang, they are on the small end of the spectrum as far as tangs go.

11. LouisLuvr12

LouisLuvr12 Astrea Snail

12. NaClCrocodile

NaClCrocodile Skunk Shrimp

What about a Royal Gramma? That might satisfy your purple need. I'll be getting one once my tank is up & running for sure. They're really cool and will hide in rocks/caves.