STN (Slow Tissue Necrosis)

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by Nightstick, Jan 20, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Nightstick

Nightstick Purple Spiny Lobster

Man I just discovered my birdsnest and some other sps have STN I guess? They are slowly dying at the tips and or base! I am adding a additional koralia 4 to increase flow. I might not have had enough, I just moved from a 75g to a 90g and only had the return and a K4.
    Does anyone have any concerns with STN or does it just go away with more flow and coral placement? Also should I take the colonies out and dip them as I would if they were new to my tank? Many have said I should just snip the dead pieces off and it should take care of the problem? What do you guys think?

2. Click Here!

3. Mainstream Aqua

Mainstream Aqua 3reef Sponsor

STN starts at the tips and works its way down from there. Usually it is due to high alk or extremely low phosphates. Are you running gfo?

4. Nightstick

Yeah I have a BRS running with gfo & carbon. I check my params weekly but I will check again and post. Why is it only affecting certain frags?

5. Nismo400rgtr

Nismo400rgtr Teardrop Maxima Clam

Think STN is inherit to SPS, hence it will only affect them.

Why certain ones and not others is a million dollar question! I lost a nice ORA verde mini colony to STN and am still battling with it now on my Redplanet frag. Finding the exact cause for it in any particular system is difficult as there are many contributing factors- salinity swings,Alk swings, temp swings, too many nutrients,too little nutrients, abrupt changes in lighting etc. Almost anything that can stress a coral and weaken it.

I believe that for my own system it's nutrient deprivation through bio-pellet use. I've just recently began increasing feeding. And I'm working on getting some more variety that specifically cater to SPS.

Done a ton of reading lately through the simple input of Acropora STN in my google search engine ;).

Here's my RP,taken last week. It's only been in my system for a month. The pic below began occurring two weeks after I got it.

[​IMG]

Not something I'm proud of.

You can glue the sections that are affected but I have no experience with this. I doubt flow is the sole cause for yours, but some extra can't hurt if you plan on having SPS thrive anyway. Don't recommend dipping at all as it will only stress the coral more. Unless you have reason to believe it may attributed to a parasite.

1 person likes this.
  6. Nightstick

here are my params, I just added a Koralia evolution 1050gph tonight so I may see something different in the morning?

Phos 0
    Nitrite 0
    Ammonia 0
    ph 8.14
    copper 0
    calcium 420
    nitrate 0
    magnesium 1300
    strontium (unknown)
    dkh 7
    salinity 1.025
    temp 77.9-80.5

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  7. aquariaman

aquariaman Pajama Cardinal

How long did it take your phosphates to get down to zero? I just bought a gfo 1 week ago and havent seen any change.

8. Click Here!

9. alpha_03

alpha_03 Bubble Tip Anemone

I have had the same problem- cal/mag has always been the root problem. I have never figured out what is actualy perfect-rather, just what is generally prefered. I really wonder if this is a seasonale problem- more often then not, it seems to be.

10. Nightstick

11. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

I have had necrosis happen to one of my corals after a tank move, I save a good chunk of it by simple cutting off the healthy piece. The rest that had the dying part on it went completely days later.

Note: you need to cut past the healthy section. So no damaged piece is still on it.

12. Nightstick

I did just have a tank move less than 30 days ago went from a 75 to a 90. I cut the dead tip off but it came back the next day.