Stingray

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish' started by scubba.steve, Feb 25, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. scubba.steve

scubba.steve Coral Banded Shrimp

2. Click Here!

3. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: DANG THAT IS HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

btw I believe it for sure, those freshwater rays just sit at the bottoms of murky waters just living life till something swims by, then "down the hatch".

4. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Wow. That is monstrous.

5. Stingray

Stingray Blue Ringed Angel

They caught me lol...

6. gregger

gregger Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Put a lead in his mouth and ride him around like a flying carpet. ;D

7. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

With an animal like that, who needs a cat or dog for a pet!

8. Click Here!

9. phal.repth

phal.repth Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I hate this. Every time anyone sees anything incredible or out of the ordinary, they drag that same thing out into a foreign environment!

Now, if there's only a very few of these "vulnerable" animals, things, or even humans, why on earth would you endanger them by pulling them from their natural habitat?

Any sort of marine animal is VERY sensitive to stress. And for that stingray to by out of the river, and in water that may not even be the correct pH level, salinity, and temperature, PLUS the fact that she was pregnant (!) must have caused enormous amounts of stress. (from what I know...)

Cruel.

I really despise the human race some times...

In the words of Dr. Who:
    "What are they doing?! They have so much potential..."

_chi_

10. coylee_17

coylee_17 Fire Goby

This ray was tagged and released... Not moved out of the river, the pool she is in was to keep her in water so they could tag her and release her to study the species and learn how to better protect them.

11. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Did you happen to read the article at all? :confused:
    They ray is a type of sportfish. It was caught while fishing, with a rod and reel. There is not "very few" of these rays, nor are they endangered in any way. They are also a FRESH water species. And the ray was TAGGED AND RELEASED into the SAME RIVER that it was caught.

12. Vkkesu

Vkkesu Spaghetti Worm

I remember camping on time on vacation near the intercoastal and someone in a boat hooked a ray. I remember them fighting to get it into their boar and couldn't they jumped out, onto the bank and pulled it up. It had gone to the intercoastal to give birth (which they all do we were told) and so she squirted out about 14 babies then and there:eek:. It was sad, but so cool to see them. They were all most see-through. Everyone reached down and made sure they all landed into the water and they all swam off. Then the guys took the mama and ate her ! I would have had a hard time with dinner that night and was glad they were local and not camping near us! :-/