Stingray...safe in reef or a big NO, NO????

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by Otty, Apr 10, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

I have a friend that just bought a Stingray that they said was a Cortez and was reef safe. I was with him when he bought it and there was 2 on display in this reef tank. Does anyone know if this is the right species of stingray and if not what kind?? All he is hearing off his forum is they shouldn't be in a reef tank but I don't believe anyone of them have had one and it's all just hear-say. Does anyone have a personal experience with this???:-/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Trickman2

Trickman2 Bristle Worm

Not sure but i can look it up when I get home in my Sharks and Rays book when I get home from work.

4. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

That would be greatly appricated!!;D

5. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

There are no reef safe sting rays. They eat shrimp, clams, snails and fish when they get the chance. Plus even the little rays require LARGE tanks, minimum 180g with LOTS of room to swim.

6. Breed

Breed Feather Duster

Agreed!!

They are predators in a reef tank and will devour most things. They also require lots of swimming room and can also be harmed by corals (my blue spot went nuts and swam into my pink-tip coral which killed it) so IMO it would not be a good idea to keep one in a reef tank.

7. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

One thing I have noticed about LFS's is that some people that work there that have no idea about saltwater, think that if its found on a reef, its reef safe. Well I informed one that sharks are on reefs as well, then I asked if they were safe as well, hahaha

8. Click Here!

9. Trickman2

Trickman2 Bristle Worm

Not a whole lot of info but here was the basics from the book

Recommended tank size 180 gallons...eats worms and crustaceans according to the book..Also says it is one of the smaller rays.

10. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Good cause it's in a 180 with plenty of room. He is going to keep it for a while and see what happens. Little chit is pretty cool, just like a dog...;D

11. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Now are you speaking from personal experience or just hear say that you are passing on????
    Most people I have talked to so far has never had one!

12. Trickman2

Trickman2 Bristle Worm

Never had one in my tank. that info came from a book called sharks and Rays by Scott w. Michael