Still considering...

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by marc1986, Aug 18, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jakerupe

Jakerupe Skunk Shrimp

Hey Marc, I just had a good friend of mine set up one of those RSM. Never had a tank and I helped get him started with sand and all the other things to get it going.

He has had it up for about 6 months now and also bought a 75 gallon. The RSM was very forgiving and easy, I'm still in shock how few problems he had. In my opinion he was moving to fast but no major issues have arisen.

2. Click Here!

3. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

to get back to the structual integrity of the manufactured house, where are the load bearing supports for the floor and how are they supported in relation the tank?

4. marc1986

marc1986 Skunk Shrimp

Thanks Jakerup! I'm dying to get one...the sleek design etc...just makes me think it may be a good buy for a newbie like myself. Were there any modifications for your friends RSM?

Reef Guru, The home is supported by a steel frame which runs around the entire perimeter of the home. The frame is ensconced on various joists which are supporting the home...I do know that the perimeter of the home is also on cynder (SP?) blocks and as far as the placement I couldn't tell you...there is skirting covering the underside of the home...

5. Jakerupe

Jakerupe Skunk Shrimp

No mods as of yet. The only additional thing he bought was an extra powerhead, right now I can't think of the name but it is a nano head and hard to find since it works so good in this tank.

6. Jakerupe

Jakerupe Skunk Shrimp

Archemede sure made this complicated! Us unenlightened people call it bouyancy. :cheesy:

7. marc1986

marc1986 Skunk Shrimp

Lol...That's right Jakerup...Bouyancy...

I knew there was a word for it.

Thanks!

8. Click Here!

9. R34dawn

R34dawn Ocellaris Clown

Howdy! and welcome to 3Reef...I couldn't helped to get my 2 cent worth in this whole matter, It all depends on what you are planning to keep, smaller tanks are cheaper than larger ones! larger tanks are far more forgiven than smaller ones. I saw your first thread last, so I decided to post it here! have to agree with all the previous posts in both threads but if it was me I would go for a 30g long or a 55g I explain why, just you have and idea how much you want to spend in one, the nano would be cheaper at first, but in the long run might cost you more in replacement parts, a bigger all glass will cost you a lot all together, from more salt mix and live rock to live stock, and all glass aquarium will not get scratched as easy as the acrylic one will, the 30g long only uses half as much sand & salt than the 55g. the 29g tall or any other tall tank, and I mean greater than 18" tall is going to take farther more lighting than a shallower one, the filter for the all glass tank you can build it your self and hide within the stand that the display sits on. smaller than a 30g could have you pulling your hair if you aren't planning on being super dedicated to it, case of power outage, there be less O2 in the water, temperature will vary greater, and only few specimens can be kept, unless you make more frequent wc's
    to replace nutrients and rid off unwanted stuff, bigger tank! need more equipment, larger less frequent wc's more forgiven, more space needed, more lighting, more specimens, less the commitment, less the temperature variations, greater filtering required.
    the choice is yours my friend, and so are many!!! My best of wishes! good luck! and anything that we can help you with let us know.

Pete

10. marc1986

marc1986 Skunk Shrimp

Thanks Pete!!! I greatly appreciate your input.

:)

I have decided to go ahead and try for the RSM...it is a 34 gallon so hopefully the rule of "room for ever listed above will be applicable in this tank. :)

Thanks so much for the advise.