Still considering...

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by marc1986, Aug 18, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Your home is built with stronger floor joist/beams then about any stick built home is and a Refrigerator is out of sight for the pressure per sq inch thats right sq inch there you have the total weight setting on just 4 sq inches where as a tank is spread out over several beams in your case or joist in a stick built home . I have a friend now in Amelia Co Va. who had a new double wide we set up in 1999 with a 180 in the L/R so weight would be of little concern to me .

2. Click Here!

3. marc1986

marc1986 Skunk Shrimp

Thanks Iraf...I do think however the floor sould be fine...after thinking about it....the house is able to support my side by side fridge fully stocked...a whirlpool garden tub...fully filled...and my washer and dryer...

Should be okay...hoping... :)

I really really want the RSM though...I'm really interested in an all in one for my first set up...

4. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Found this to be interesting.
    Archemedes' Principal and Weight

1 person likes this.
  5. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

6. Jakerupe

Jakerupe Skunk Shrimp

Intresting, but physics will tell you energy is tranferred equally and opposite. So if the water is pushing up, there is an equal force pushing down that will transfer to the tank-stand-floor-earth. Don't think that theory would hold in a fish tank about the weght being less, could be wrong though!

7. Swede

Swede Flamingo Tongue

With regards to the fish tank scenario its all about density. Rocks are denser than water therefore a tank full of rocks will weigh more than a tank full of water.

Archemedes' principle is concerned with the relative density of something compared to its surrounding environment. As water is denser than air, when something is weighed in water it will appear to to lighter than when it is weighed in air. This is because the weight of an item is its mass minus the mass of the environment that it is displacing. The only time when mass equalls weight is when something is weighed in a vacuum.

Returning to the fish tank, if you weigh a rock whilst it is submerged then it will appear it be lighter then when it isn't (as per Archemedes' principle). If the tank is sitting on scales and you observe its weight when you add rocks you will see that it increases by the weight of the rock in air. If you then decrease the tanks volume to that of its previous level, the tanks total weight will decrease by the weight of the water that has been removed (ie the displacement of the rock). The weight of the tank will therefore be greater than before the rock was added.

Hope this clarifies things you all.

Swede

2 people like this.
  8. Click Here!

9. marc1986

marc1986 Skunk Shrimp

Interesting article. Thanks!

This does help...been thinking everything over and I really do think that the weight should be okay in my home...

Now it's just a matter of getting what I want and when...Womp, womp, womp...the waiting game...guess I should get used to...especially with the cycling process...right guys!!! :)

You guys truly are awesome! I can't wait to get all my stuff together...again...I truly am interested in the RSM...I would be happy to consider a different all in one...I would even like to try a 40 to 55 gallon perhaps...

Anyone got some input on a well rounded all in one unit that doesn't require too much modification???

I am not the handy type :)

If so please share.

Thanks again!

10. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

Thanks Mission and Swede :), karma for clearing that up, must have miss-heard the show, but i was allmost possitive that was what they were talking about :confused: ...oh well

1 person likes this.
  11. marc1986

marc1986 Skunk Shrimp

No worries Nano reefer,

we would'nt have had the chance to discuss that without you bringing that up... :) so karma to you :)

1 person likes this.
  12. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

hehe thanks buddy! didnt even think of it like that ;D