Still considering...

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by marc1986, Aug 18, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. marc1986

marc1986 Skunk Shrimp

I don't know if I would need a chiller...the tanks I have now stay pretty stable all day...they are FW though...does that make any change?

2. Click Here!

3. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

You will have more intense lighting in a reef tank thus more heat.... JMO.... And a RSM is completely enclosed and traps more head....

4. marc1986

marc1986 Skunk Shrimp

LOL...duh...sometimes I'm so dense :)

I knew that... :)

Thanks baugherb!...sometimes I need a nudge to get my brain tickin...

Would you recommend, instead of the RSM, going with a DIY kit??? I would sincerely consider a 55g...Always wanted one...plus I'll have more room to house our finned friends :)

I just wouldn't know what the best Filter, heater, lighting, etc...would work best for a 55g...I have read..believe me...I am just not very handy like some folks and have trouble modifying stuff...

5. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Here's the deal... I have a 5.5 gal.. So asking me about tank size isn't a good thing...LOL.. I would do a regular all glass aquaruim, that way you would have less heat issues IMO.. Run a open top.. I think a 55 would be a good size for you to begin....

6. marc1986

marc1986 Skunk Shrimp

Lol...true....

Thanks a bunch for your help!

I will definitly keep everyone posted...can't wait to get my tank cycling...oh...wait...I gotta purchase it first :(

Oh well...I'll do a hole bit on setting my tank up eventually :)

Thanks again!!! and if anyone has any more input on the Manufactured home issue...please do reply :)

7. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

hmmm, the mass of something in air should be totally different than in water, i think it was called the water displacement theory, maybe i will check on this later...

8. Click Here!

9. {Nano}Reefer

hey Marc, i would check your local Craigslist to see if there are any used tanks available, might save you some green :)

10. marc1986

marc1986 Skunk Shrimp

Very true...Thanks!

I'll check on that...how big is your tank? how long have you been in the SW game? Any recommendations on filter, heater, lighting etc?

11. {Nano}Reefer

well i have a 10 gallon, ive been into SW for a few years now, but still learning ;) and i guess the lighting depends on what type of set-up you are looking at, fish, corals, what types of corals... usually its best to go big and not worry about getting upgrades later, Metal Halides have some of the best PAR values but T5's have some of the best PUR values.

1 person likes this.
  12. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

55,75,90 all pretty much the same size just gets wider and taller, I'd brace the floor if it were me, I dont trust a tank on anything that isn't a slab