Still Algae on Sandbed

Discussion in 'Algae' started by adam, Feb 12, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

I have a 46 gallon. 1/4 inch of sand. tank is 3 years old. Sunpod with 2 150MH bulbs for 8.5 hours a day. I now feed very little frozen every other day, aqua c skimmer, Ferric oxide mixed with carbon in a aqua clear filter. I do 10% water changes every week with RODI water. Top offs with RODI water. Would a phophate reactor help with the algae. My API tests always 0 for phosphate and nitrate. My LR has very little algae on it. I don't know if this is a bacteria or just algae. I have no sump but was thinking of just putting some Chaetmorpha in the main tank to help kill the micro algae? This algae is mainly in the middle. I have 3 koralia 1's and 1 koralia nano . I think I have enough flow. Also I have about 4 hermits and a few astrea snails. About 3 Nessarious snails. I don't think adding more CUC is the answer though since it is on the sand
    Any other ideas?

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

When was the last time you changed bulbs? Have you done a siphon of the sand?

4. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

Bulbs are 2 months old. I am doing a water change tonight and will siphon that area. It will probably come back though. How about a fighting conch?

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Having something that stirs up the bed and consumes anything on it should be helpful.

6. slocal

slocal Doot!

There may be flow, but is it directed in the right spots? A lot of people pay more attention to the surface agitation and less to the substrate.

7. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

It does look like green cyano doesn't it?

8. Click Here!

9. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

if it is green cyano then what helps it?

10. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

What id your pH? There are clean up crew that eat cyano, but having your pH at 8.2 or 8.3 helps hold it back as well as making sue you get some good flow to sand.

11. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

My Ph starts in the morning at 7.9 and ends at 8.3. Cyano always looked more like a plastic coating. This really does not look like that.

12. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

Try some Chemi-Clean...If it works, it is cyano.