step by step pics of ro/di install

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Robman, Apr 10, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

There seems to be alot of questions lately on how to install an ro/di unit. I have a very basic install and I hope these pics will help!!

First I bought a three way adapter to replace my cold water valve under the kitchen sink-They sell these at Home Depot for about 13.00. Just turn off the house supply, unscrew the old one from the sink and install the new 3 way. This also gives you an emergency shut off valve. I drilled 2 holes through the back of the cabinets (One for supply and one for drain). Then attach the saddle valve to the drain pipe, turn the valve all the way in to pierce the pipe and then all the way out to open the valve. Run the 2 lines as you see fit to the ro/di unit

[​IMG]

I then came through the wall and bought a blank plate from Home Depot and drilled 2 holes for the lines to give it a finished look on the wall. I then added an on/off valve to turn the unit on and off. I mounted the ro/di on the wall (make sure you mount it securely, they are heavy! I mounted a board to the wall first to hit studs with 3 inch bolts, then mounted the unit).

[​IMG]

I added an in line TDS meter and we are up and running!!!!

[​IMG]

I have a 5 gallon jug with a 1/4 inch line to a float valve in my sump. I just turn on the ro/di and keep the jug full. This way my sump level never changes. (Important for good skimmer production and consistancy). I just move the yellow output line to this yellow trash can the day before a water change and fill it up and mix the salt. The reason I dont run full auto top off is I like to have control, plus I can dose Kalk or calcium etc into the jug. It is then dripped into the sump.

[​IMG]

I sure hope this helps answer some questions and makes it not so complicated!!!

2 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

Mods--Can you move this to How To Article Forum???

4. tube

tube Flamingo Tongue

Very nice Robman !!!

5. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

Thanks Tube!! Just hope it helps some people--It only took about an hour to install all this.

1 person likes this.
  6. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

Looks Good Robman! Nice and neat!!!!

1 person likes this.
  7. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

Thanks.

8. Click Here!

9. andcbii

andcbii Plankton

Is the left over water from the RO filter drink able? I noticed you have a line running from your RO filter to your drain pipe. If it's safe to drink this water is there a way to run it back into your main plumbing so you aren't wasting water? Also, how much water to you end up wasting if you have it set up the way you currently have it.

10. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

A normal waste ratio is 4:1 for almost all units, this ensures the membrane stays well flushed of built up solids.
    RO brine or waste will be 20 to 25% higher TDS than the tap wate rwas to begin with. Yes it has been through a particulate or sediment filter and a carbon but it has not been through the RO membrane and it now contains the concentrated wastes removed by the membrane. In theory, if the tap water was safe to begin with the waste would also be safe but I would not drink it myself, thats why I bought an RO in the first place was to provide safe, good tasting drinking water for my family so RO is the choice. Water does not get wasted in the true sense, in most places it goes to the publically owned treatment works and get recycled and injected or reintroduced into the water table or surface water streams to be used all over again.
    If wasting is still a concern there are options like Spectrapures UHE 1:1 system which is what I have done but its not for everyone. Other options are watering your landscape, filling barrels for plant watering, adding it to the washing machine(which I do not recommend since I paid good money for a wate rsoftener to eliminate hard water and TDS problems plus a washer only holds a small amount in comparison to the amount wasted at 4:1), filling the pool etc.

Watts Premier makes a "zero waste" system which uses an electric booster pump to inject it back into your hot water tank. Again it has limitations such as a maximum of 15 GPDand again its putting crud in your water heater that goes into your plumbing that many of us bought water softeners to protect. Not really a good option.

11. andcbii

andcbii Plankton

I only want the RO unit for my reef tank. I don't mind drinking regular tap water at my house. Just to be clear, is it 4 gallons of waste to one gallon of RO water or the other way around? That would mean that every gallon of water i put into my reef tank would cost me the same as 5 regular gallons that seams wasteful IMO.

12. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Yes it is 4 gallons of waste for every 1 gallon of treated water, this is the industry standard. It sounds wasteful but in reality you send more down the toilet every day than you will in a month with an RO or RO/DI system.
    If your tap water TDS is pretty low, say 100 of less, to begin with you can probably reduce that to 3:1 but it is not wise to go any lower as the membrane will foul prematurely. The cost of 5 gallons or water is miniscule most places, I have calculated my usage and costs out and it comes out to less than 2 cents actual water and sewer costs per gallon. Factoring in replacement costs and upkeep and its still less than 5 cents a gallon compared to buying RO only at anywhere from 25 cents to 69 cents and RO/DI at about a dollar a gallon at the LFS.