Starting up a 75g

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Indigo, Oct 12, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Indigo

Indigo Plankton

I've been keeping freshwater tanks for over 15 years, but this will be my first saltwater tank.

I've read up on it quite a bit and need some extra help.

My lfs offered to use water from his tanks for the initial set up. I will also be getting about 60lb of live rock from him.

For the filter, I originally was planning a sump, but some say that you can go with canisters. I have 2 marineland c-360 plus another canister I'm buying next week.

I plan on starting the tank as a fowlr, then MAYBE getting a good light and some coral down the road. (I am very into freshwater planted tanks).

My stocking is going to be (probably)
    3 chromis, a scooter blenny, some shrimp, and possibly a sifting starfish when the tank is more establish.

For a tank like this, what wc schedule do I need? I know someone who swears that they're not needed, but coming from a fw background, I always do them on my tanks.

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Welcome.
    :)

I have always have done water changes of 10-20% at least monthly.

Go sump over canister if able.

4. Indigo

Indigo Plankton

I'd like to do a sump, but I'm afraid of malfunctions. I have an empty 20g (or should it be higher?) that I planned on using when I thought I was getting a 40g breeder.

My lfs has a guy who drills tanks. The only problem is that there's a sticker on the bottom of my 75 that says its tempered. Doesn't say if it's the whole tank or just the bottom.

The tank is a marineland with a wood stand, if that helps. I know it's usually just the bottom that's tempered, but I guess we'll know for sure if we decide to drill it ^_^'

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I tried googling to find out, nothing definitive on 75 gallon tank. I would call them.

Tempered bottom seems to be the consensus, and that would make the decision for you.

Vinnyboombatz likes this.
  6. Indigo

Indigo Plankton

I'll try calling them. On the off chance that it can't be drilled, would canisters be okay?

7. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Not ideal as they need to be cleaned frequently. I would not use water from tanks at an lfs. Make your own.:) I seriously doubt the whole tank is tempered.

8. Click Here!

9. Badcat1058

Badcat1058 Plankton

My 75 gallon has a tempered bottom but the back is not. I plan on drilling the back for my overflow and return. I would go with a sump rather than a canister or wet/dry with the plastic bio balls. They are a nitrate factory according to what I have read. Filter socks have to be cleaned ever so often or they can become a nitrate factory too. You can DIY your own sump, overflow just check out youtube for how to videos. IMHO

10. Indigo

Indigo Plankton

For my fw, I use tap water and add prime. The water naturally sits at a 8.0 ph and my cichlids love it. I doubt I can use it for SW.

The reason I was planning on getting the initial setup water from my lfs is because I don't have an RO unit and the lfs guy will haul it for me and put it in the tank. I'm not worried about fish disease from this one. All my fish will also be coming from his store. (This is also the only place I feel comfortable buying fw fish.)

For water changes down the road, if I can't use tap, there's those fill-your-own RO things at big box stores like WalMart and grocery stores. I figure if I change 15 gallons every other week, or every month, then I need to haul 3 of those big 5g containers in my car. And then I can add them to a storage bin when I get home, mix it up, and let it sit for a day and then do the wc.

Looks like I'm most likely going with sump. How big of a tank do I need for a 75g?

11. Badcat1058

Badcat1058 Plankton

That depends on how much room you have under your tank unless it will be located in a different spot and also how much equipment you plan on having in the sump. And are you wanting a refugium. The more water volume you have the more stable your tank will be. I am planing on turning my 55 gal tank into the sump and planing my stand right now so it will be a while before I set it up. So I would say as big as you have room for, IMHO. For the smallest I think a 20 gallon will work but not sure.

Corailline likes this.
  12. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

An Rodi unit is a solid investment. Most box stores have poor maintenance procedures on there systems.
    I wouldn't even consider a sw system without one. It will save you lots of time/money/troubles in the long run.

mdbostwick and Corailline like this.