Starting New BioCube 29

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by AZBioCube29, Apr 14, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. AZBioCube29

AZBioCube29 Plankton

It's been over 10 years since I last had a SW tank. Decided to go small & am just getting ready to order a BioCube 29. Any suggestions for set up & stocking? I'm thinking of going with some dry rock & seeding with a few small pieces from a LFS. What are the thoughts on standard 29 vs HQI? Here in AZ, heat can be an issue. Concerned about keeping tank cool. Thank you for your time!:)

2. Click Here!

3. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

hey bud i would look into LED, there are some great sites on easy led upgrades for those 29 gallon tanks!

4. Inertiatic

Inertiatic Bubble Tip Anemone

I second this idea!

Check out these options for your tank from RapidLED. Retrofit kits - Nano Kits - BioCube 29 - Rapid LED

It will fit right into your hood once you gut it.

5. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

Hey! I would recommend looking at mine, Biocube's, and Ashvillian's biocube builds. Two things i would recommend with the biocube:

1. Mod the crap out of it. New pump, new filtration(InTank Media Baskets), new skimmer. Heres what I've done with mine as far as filtration: Biocube 29 Filtration set up - YouTube

2. new lights. This thing runs HOT. either take the hood off and do t5s or retrofit the hood with LEDs.

HOPE THIS HELPS!

6. AZBioCube29

AZBioCube29 Plankton

Should I retrofit LED or go with the 29 HQI?

7. SwimsWithFish

I would do the HQI. Nothing grows corals better than MH.

8. Click Here!

9. element

element Fire Worm

LED for sure. Just the pcs were way too hot in both of mine and I keep the house at 75 at nite and 79 in the day. I did led in both of mine.

10. SwimsWithFish

LED Will grow SPS, don't get me wrong, but nothing compares to the rapid growth rates of MH.

11. AZBioCube29

AZBioCube29 Plankton

It seems like it would be much cheaper to just go with the the BioCube 29 HQI. The LED upgrades cost almost as much as the HQI? Will I have heat issues with the HQI? Some people have commented about the amount of electricity they use. Do they really use enough to make a noticeable difference on my electric bill?

12. SwimsWithFish

I think it's a 150w right? So yeah it will use more. But not much more than like a 24" 6 bulb t5 would. It will definitely be more than LEDs. What temp do you keep your house at? Usually fans will be enough to keep the temp down.