Starting Again

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by PharmrJohn, Apr 26, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Greetings to everyone, old and new, known and unknown. I was a regular member quite some time ago (seven or eight years) but had to leave the hobby for awhile and, consequently, left 3reef as well. Now.....there has been a significant time lapse, so much of that knowledge I had will have to be dug out of my memory, kicking and screaming. And much of it may not be current anymore. So....I need advice.

My tank is dead, and has been sitting for many years. The rock is still in there. The sand is still in there. I have to yank my fuge outta there and give it a once (or twice) over. I will have to get some new pumps and a new heater, but that's about it. All the hardware is good enough to start and maintain a successful ecosystem. But it's going to be an undertaking, and I am not in a rush. I need to do this right the first time. Since I have to redo some flooring where the tank stands, I am planning on filling this thing back up in about three to four months. Meantime, I need to clean the rock and wash my sand as a point of re-entry into the hobby. But.......I cannot, for the life of me, remember how to do either.

So that is where I will start. With a request for information along those lines. Thanks in advance!!!!

2. Click Here!

3. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Welcome back PJ. I recommend just putting the rock in a big bucket with salt water and a pump for circulation. It may take a couple weeks to get the bacteria back. Change water a couple times. Test for nitrates and phosphates. When those two come into line, the rock will be ready to put in the tank. You could give them a brush on the surface to knock off the rough stuff. The sand, I'd just replace. Many people are skipping the sand entirely due to gunk collecting in it. What do you have for filtration? A new skimmer may be in order.

Corailline likes this.
  4. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

It's an ETSS Superskimmer. Please forgive my failing recall but ETSS 400 came to mind.......But I am unsure of that particular detail. I know that it is more than sufficient for a 90 gal tank (my former signature is included from back in the day). It was never my first choice as a skimmer, but it did very, very well.....it was just hard to get going (a tad tweaky to get the proper skim initially). Once it was working as it should, it was solid. Unfortunately, as these are pricey items, I will have to work with this one. If memory serves, I bought it used from Tangster. I did a cut and paste from my Signature back in 2009.

So sand is no longer considered a requirement.....I don't mind that. I always feared that which lingered underneath after a few years. I had a system crash that I could not peg on anything specific that lead to my exit of the hobby.....and I always feared that it was the detritus (correct word?) contained in the lower layers of the sand that bled out. I didn't have a deep sand bed, so the chances were minimal, but still possible. The bed was three inches in places, but two inches on the average, despite what my signature implies......

90g HW: 20g Sump/Fuge, ETSS PSw/Mag9.5, CPR OF/Rio 2100 RTN, 3K3 1K4 PH's(4200GPH ttl flow), 300W htr, Gnd Prb, Denitrator, Tek 8x54W T5. Fish: Hmbg, Y-T, Ylw dmsls, Coral Beauty, 8 Line Wrasse. Inverts: HC, CBS, P-mnt shrmp x2, Sandstar, Sea Apple. CUC: 130 D. Crth/35 F. Crth/30 Lg Nrts/25 Vibex/4 Turbos Corals: Frgspwn x2, Kenya Tree, Doughnut Coral, GSP, Zoas x2, Shroom rocks x2, Lobo Brain, Turbinaria, Mshrm Lthr, Fngr Lthr Other: 145# LR, 1-2" LS DOB 5/7/08

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

For the T5 fixture, I guess after this long you're going to need new bulbs, so go with ATI or Giesemann.

You can start curing the rock in a tub with SW, that way the rock will be ready when you are. I would probably do a Muiratic Acid wash on it or bleach.

Of course leak test the tank so you get no big surprises.

Welcome back, Matt will be happy to see you.

6. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Thanks C. Yeah.....I'm gonna use the bulbs I have up until the time I put coral in. Don't matter to fish and, visually, it will be the same, but you're right, they absolutely need to be replaced. All eight. But that's a year out from start up. The system will be fish only until it's solid for a lengthy period of time. I'll not risk ending any sort of life secondary to impatience. I'm glad ATI is still a good choice. That's what I went with before.....but I can't remember the temperature I used. I was really retentive about what kind of 'K' I ran (seems like I used some 12s and 14s.....Wow, it's been a long time). I'll have to look at old threads where I tried to help other reefers along those lines. I recall having a very strong opinion on the subject.

I seriously cannot believe how much I have forgotten. Man....I used to know a lot......But that's the nature of things I suppose. Ditch that which is not used for new material. Much easier than admitting that my memory ain't what it used to be :).

I remember bleach being used......But I cannot remember how much to put in. I'll need a two garbage cans to do this.....how much in each 30 gal can? How long to I run the bleach solution before starting the curing process? Curing will come back to me once I start testing. Which reminds me......my testing supplies are ALL expired by now. UGH!!!! Those can be pricey.....and I was real specific about how and what with I tested.....but there was a Nitrate test that stood out ...... and it wasn't what I used as a brand (Salifert). For now, I think all I'll need is pH, Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate. I was going to go with Salifert for the first three..,..but switch up on the Nitrate test. Any ideas?

Also....Are Packleader, Missionsix and Cuttingras still around? There was a Mother-Son duo on site as well back in the day........

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Packleader started a new tank and took it down, have not seen him in a year or so.
    Skyfire is still around, do not see much of her son, you know college.........Skyfire is designing a new stand and system I believe.
    Have not heard from or or seen Missionx in a long time.
    Matt still has his tank, and it's doing well.

Since it's not your first rodeo you could probably get away with ATI for test kits. The basics will come back and since you're doing FOWLR you do not need to spend a lot of money Ca/Alk/Mag. pH should not be a problem since your not doing corals, a water change will take care of that.

I like Salifert, if you want pH get a Hanna Checker for 40 bucks and call it a day. MarineDepot and Bulk Reef Supply are where I shop for 99% of my stuff.

ATI has a ton of new bulb colors as does Giesemann.

Confident once you really start to fiddle and arrange items it will all come back to you quickly. My new tank I went high tech with LEDS, pumps.......trust me it's always a learning curve.

8. Click Here!

9. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

welcome back to the forum and hobby! Only thing I can add to help with to definitely just get new sand. :)

Corailline likes this.
  10. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

What about the Bleach cleaning process?

11. RHorton

RHorton Pajama Cardinal

Welcome back PharmrJohn!
    I just recently came back myself.

12. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang