Starting a Seahorse Tank

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by KDtrey5, Jan 13, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. KDtrey5

KDtrey5 Coral Banded Shrimp

Build Thread!

. . . .

2. Click Here!

3. rayjay

rayjay Gigas Clam

You shouldn't have any need for a heater in any seahorse tank unless the room it is in goes below 68°F.
    While brine shrimp will live on yeast, there is NO nutrition in it.
    After hatching, you need to let the bbs grow for a day to the second instar stage where they develop a mouth and anus so they can feed. (newborns cannot feed)
    Then, enrich with something like Dan's Feed (seahorsesource.com) for two 12 hour stages with new water and new enrichment for each 12 hour stage.
    If you only have adults in the tank, you can grow out the brine shrimp for probably a week using green water made from spirulina powder from Brine Shrimp Direct ($9.95 a pound). Blend in blender for at least two minutes, store in pop bottle in refrig. and use as needed. Lighter more frequent feedings that just tint the water work best.
    Just remove a days needs for feeding and enrich so they are ready for the next day.

4. KDtrey5

I'll look into spiralina powder. So once I harvest the bbs I just soak them in spiraling power and water? Then feed? I need a heater as I live in wisconsin. The temp this morning was negative 30

5. rayjay

rayjay Gigas Clam

I think you may not have read the post very well. "Soaking" is not an appropriate form of feeding or enrichment.
    ANY food you feed them has to be micronized to appropriate size for them to "capture" with their appendages and pass to their mouths.
    Newly hatched bbs CANNOT feed as they have no mouth or anus until the second instar stage so we normally begin enrichment about 24 hours after hatching.
    While adult brine can be enriched in terms of 4 to 8 hours, bbs take a minimum of 12 hours just to gut load, and a second 12 hour stage to have them assimilate the nutrition into their tissues.
    While some use the Selco/Selcon emulsions, it is not a product that keeps for long so the powdered Dan's Feed from seahorsesource.com is much better, and, has a higher DHA component, PLUS a number of other enhancements.
    Seahorse Source
    Spirulina is an EXCELLENT food nutrition wise, but is best used for growing out the brine for a period of days or even to adult if you have larger seahorses as well. As for Dan's Feed, one of it's contents is Algamac Protein Plus which in turn uses spirulina as its main content.
    Whatever you use for them, Selco emulsions or spirulina or Dan's Feed, put some in a blender with water and blend for at least two minutes. This will make most of the particles suitably sized for brine shrimp to ingest.

6. KDtrey5

Thanks! Will be adding more pics when I'm done aquascaping!