Starting a cuttle tank

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by mirandacollc, May 7, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

hatches yet?

2. Click Here!

3. Atlantico

Atlantico Plankton

Subscribed! This is awesome!

4. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

You mean it'll fit in my tank :jester:
    yes, thats me taking the picture in the picture :p GBR Oct, 2001

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

i think you might need a bigger tank telgar :) nice pics

6. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

Sorry for the delays guys my computer pooped on me the other day so ive not been on in about week. Well 3 of us got the eggs and I got an e-mail at 6 am that one of the other guys had some eggs hatch. I am hoping this is goood news for mine. I have no hatchlings but three of the eggs you can see the shape of the cuttle in the egg. I am hoping and hoping that they hatch. The hatch rate is so low on these so ive been worried. I hope that I get 3-5 out of this. I have them blocked from the lights as they dont like the bright light and have been in the room about 5 tims a day since starting this hoping to see something. Hopefully sooner then later.

7. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

Had one hatch over night!!!!!! ITs to early and my wife is sleeping to get pictures but will be getting some posted as soon as I can. The thing is tiny so it will be a bit tought but im excited.

8. Click Here!

9. crappyballer

crappyballer Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

personally i think most tanks maintained here are far superior to the tanks in some parks/aquariums. 3reefers rule!!

hell yea man!! congrats!! do cuttlefish pump water over their eggs like octopus? if so maybe a wave maker with short bursts would help the eggs with circulation.

10. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

From what I and the other guys that I got the eggs from have noticed is that they put the eggs in a dark almost hidden area. What appeared to be the mother seemed to hover ner the eggs but still about 6in or so away. I have the wavemaker on a gentle cycle since these are in a breeder net in my main tank I still require flow for my corals. The funny thing is that the parents of the eggs I have hatched in the car ride home for the guy I got these from and so did someone else that had a batch of those same eggs. I notice a slight sway back and forth when the circulators come on.

I will say these are alot smaller then I had figured they would be and almost clear in color not making the distintive color changing patterns yet. So far from watching this am I have noticed that it seems to play hide and seek if I get near the tank it moves into a crevase under the net and a rock in a corner of the net I move away and its back. Haha This should be a good time watching as it grows. Now I just need to hope for a few more hatchlings. I ultimatally wanted 5 but think I might only get 2-3 We shall see.

11. crappyballer

crappyballer Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

12. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

Just noticed another just hatched! The second one is much larger then the first one. The second one is not so clear and its more brown color. I just loaded the breeder new with about 10-15 aphnipods as its a good sized meal for these tiny creratures. Pictures to follow later today of the freshies.