Started Tank to early...NOW WHAT?

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by martygary, Feb 20, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. martygary

martygary Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

After reading alot of very useful information on this forum I definitly realize what I have done wrong with my tank. (Too much livestock to soon, stressful enviornment etc...). NOW, I want to know what to do to fix the problem.
    I have: 55g. 2 high power filtration systems, UV sterilizer, 30 lbs of liverock, 1 powder brown tang, 1 flame angel, 1 yellow tang and 1 damsel and 1 fire fish. 2 cleaner shrimp, snails, 1 emerald crab.
    My stress level has decreased, all my parameters are fine but I'm still fighting Ich. Now that I know what I DID wrong. What can I do to make it right? THANKS

2. Click Here!

3. NanoMano

NanoMano Gigas Clam

start by getting rid of the tangs IMO. they need way more the 55g. atleast double that for one. thats part of why your battling ich, tangs get ich easily when put in stressful situations

4. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Marty, with all due respect why do you keep starting the same basic thread? Then we go thru the same thing again and again! You got excellent advice on both previous threads!

Your stress level hasn't decreased and I doubt your levels are fine! As on your other threads, u need to take the tangs and angel back to the LFS and prob the damsel too! Let your tank age! And then come up with a stocking list and let the fine folk here critique it for you! Then SLOWLY add them over months!

And have a hospital tank and some garlic, selcon, and ich medication ready for the future! Just in case!

Good luck!

5. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

I would take the Powder Brown back to the LFS. The yellow probably wants a bigger tank to but the powder NEEDs one. Unless your shrimp are mated one my thunderdome the other. After that, i think you will be ok.

6. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

7. NanoMano

NanoMano Gigas Clam

also just so you know, we understand your frustration.. but if you take your time as exciting as it is (believe me I know) all of these problems can be avoided! so take the tangs and angel back, dont put a tang in the minimum sized tank they suggest for it. its very stressful for the fish. they can swim 100's of mile in a day. let your tank age, get some clowns or something in the mean time, and enjoy the hobby ;)

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. martygary

thanks for all the feedback!!!!! the powder brown is going back!!

10. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

All of them should...

11. martygary

why all of them????

12. kwinter1

kwinter1 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Good, take the powder brown back. Personally I would take the yellow tang back too (easier said than done, I know(but do it:)).Like said above stress + tang
    = ich. I would try keeping the rest, maybe not the best idea but this way you still have something in your tank. I can understand hearing take everything back would be discouraging and more than like easy to shake off and do nothing and try to ride it out. But, atleast this way with the tangs gone you can see if it helps the other fish stabilize. If not after couple days to week then maybe the flame should go back too, then again may make the difference. Keep your head up and have some patience it will work out in time.