started my diy live rock

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by skyvern2130, Oct 14, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. skyvern2130

skyvern2130 Stylophora

So I started my diy live rock my mix is
    2 parts argonite rock 1 part perlite and 1 part white cement
    My mold was play sand moistened
    I hope its not to brittle if it is ill find out in 1 week when I pull it out of the sand.
    If so ill up the cement to 1.5 parts

I did this after a week or so of research from various forums. When done if I like it and its not brittle ihave a bath tube rdy for it, thetube has never been used I gave it a quick rinse with soap and water, and ill cure the rock there befor turning it into live rock.

Any questions on why I choose what I plz ask away

2. Click Here!

3. Gus

Gus Astrea Snail

I made 150 lbs of DIY rock over the summer. I used the oyster shell, softner salt, and white cement. Be prepared for a long leach out period for the ph to fall keep it warm and aerated, mine took about 10 weeks. However it was worth it tank looks awesome now that its in and starting the cycle. Good luck with yours!

4. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

Sweet I would love to see pics!

5. oyf709

oyf709 Bristle Worm

lol well i made about 100lb live rock as well, yeah dame it takes so long, I had change water almost daily unless it was raining, and my PH only dropped to 10 (from 14) after 8 months lol. I guess i have to wait up to a full year. The quicker way is have the DIY rock in some kinda running water such as local stream or such. It might reduce the wait time down to 4 to 5 months but has chance to get some unwanted stuff on the rock.

As for materials, I would ad water softener salt to lower then weight of he rock thatz all

6. Gus

Gus Astrea Snail

[​IMG]

This was the stack I like the best. Added 15lbs of live to help seed the tank.

7. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

I did the same with aragonite and oyster shells. I liked the DIY part of it, and making the shapes that I wanted despite the forever leach-out time. However, I don't use the rocks anymore, except for frags that I want to be able to break apart. I found that, over time, the rock slowly starts to fall apart and crumble. I cured mine correctly, and didn't rush the process. In the end, it wasn't worth the time and effort.

8. Click Here!

9. skyvern2130

skyvern2130 Stylophora

oo ive read about the long wait, im looking forward to it being down ive have a really unique scape plan for my tank, what do you use to glue pices of live rock together.

10. skyvern2130

skyvern2130 Stylophora

Well all my rock is made, realised i used a stocko/mortar mix,hope that wont affect it to much from whst I underrstand stucko is just a mix of limestont,portland cement and sand, so it shouldnt affect it.

Its in a bathtube now im doing weekly water changes on it,so far the pices look great,have great strength and lots of pours on it.

Cant wait till it cured, 3 months to go lol
    When I do next water change i get some pics.