Started Building My DIY Calcium Reactor

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Ryan, Sep 12, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Looks good so far, Ryan! I love a DIY project. Keep up updated with pics. So the spray bar is the influent, and is in the same chamber as the media, yes? The water will flow down the second chamber, and out the hole in the bottom?

2. Click Here!

3. Ryan

Ryan Spaghetti Worm

I cemented the body together last night. I came out alright. I ran out of Weld-on 3 so I had to finish with weld-on 16 so some of the seams are a little sloppier then I would like. Its still water tight though! Not a drop anywhere when I water tested the body (last pic).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This pic was right after I water tested the body:
    [​IMG]

Now I have to drill & tap the top flange & lid, then cement the flange on, then drill & tap a hole in the lower section of the smaller chamber to place a fitting for effluent to exit the reactor.

Reefsparky:
    Both sides will be filled with media. Effluent/Water will be sprayed out of the spay bar, fill up the larger chamber, flow over the center divider, then flow down through the media in the smaller chamber. Effluent will then be taken out of the lower section at the bottom of the smaller chamber.

The reason one chamber is larger then the other one is after talking to other people who have made/used this style of reactor, then said the media is used up much quicker in the upflow side of the reactor.

4. ReefSparky

Looks super! I hope it works out for you. :)

5. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Looks Good Ryan, but I think you might go through a lot of Maxi jets trying to pull through the media

J

6. Ryan

Ryan Spaghetti Worm

I finally got time to drill & tap the top flange and lid. I used 12 3/4" 8-32 nylon thumb screws.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Ryan

Ryan Spaghetti Worm

Completed reactor body with handles that hang over the sides of my sump:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Reactor Body sitting in sump:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have a couple more holes to drill & tap for the effluent exit fitting & PH probe, then I need get a Co2 Tank/Regulator/Controller.

After a lot of reaserch Im leaning towards this regulator from aquariumplants.com:
    AQUARIUMPLANTS.COM's Co2 Regulator)

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. ReefSparky

10. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Wow. Very cool. Just the thread I was looking for. I may try to emulate your success here in a few months. I am finding my tank is an ongoing project with no end in sight. Not that I am complaining. This kind of hobby suits me best.

Once again, great job. K+

11. Ryan

Ryan Spaghetti Worm

Thanks! My tanks is a work in progress too! When I run out of equipment to make/buy, Im just going to build another tank (<---actually build the tank its self). I couldnt imagin be "done" with my tank and satisistfied without wanted to put something else togehter. :p

My co2 tank and controller for the reactor will be here at the end of the week, so I will get it up in running shortly. I'll keep everyone posted on how the design works.

12. ermano

ermano Zoanthid

Ryan, great great handi-work!! I'm impressed!!! But i'm a little confused on the whole reactor setup, could you explain to me the flow of water? Where it goes in, where it comes out...where the CO2 comes into play? sorry, but i'm interested!! Looks really really good!!!!;D;D;D