Start me up: 30 gal

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by ChicagoReefOne, Mar 21, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

Is the pavona in pretty good flow? they like strong to med-strong intermitent. I never fed mine directly either. That may be why all the hairs are retracted in that pic. I did a COTM on pavona. might want to check it out. I'll find the link if you need.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. ChicagoReefOne

ChicagoReefOne Flamingo Tongue

Your COTM article was/is a huge resource for me! I already K+ you on it when I read it, but once more is in order. Thanks for that info.

Yeah I should have specified that pic a little more. Some things led to another, it got re-placed in the tank front and center but under the MH, the rockwork stirred the sand and the Pavona wasn't so happy at that point, it was bleaching out pretty badly. Which is why the coral looks unhappy with short hairs. I really wasn't sure it was going to make it, I think the MH was bleaching it out too. So I turned off the MH and gave it some scallop because I remembered it had caught some when I first put a scallop in the tank to cycle it, and liked it seemingly. It really devoured puréed scallop. It seems that mine definitely spot feeds, as it has several times and it now noticably larger. I was actually going to post these pics to the COTM article also to get some feedback. While I'm not sure if this is totally by the book, it sure seems to have revived the Pavona. The proof was in the pureed scallop pudding?

4. cuttingras

:lol: hahaha I guess it is! Glad the article helped you and thanks for the k! Well good! So, it's doing better already?

5. ChicagoReefOne

[homer simpson] mmmmm scallop pudding .. .

Yeah I think so, like everyone says on here, you have to go slow. I am probably going to fed again fairly soon and ease back on the MH. It's been recouping under actinics only for several days now (log in other room). It does seem to be doing better though, no doubt about it.

I'd be interested to hear if you could get the same results with yours. . .

6. cuttingras

eww well mine went to the lfs about a week ago, had to break down my tank...:-/ Scenario1313 has a piece of it.

7. ChicagoReefOne

Sorry to hear about that, unless you wanted it, in which case, good for you!

8. Click Here!

9. cuttingras

yes I did, but I'll not go any further. ;) This is about your tank and questions:)

10. ChicagoReefOne

Well here's something, the skimmer isn't pulling anything in really, just clear water. And I have raised it up off the body. It's a Remora skimmer.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  11. cuttingras

whoops, just read your signature. you don't have any fish in it? that's why you aren't pulling anything out. skimmers pull out the smaller amounts of poo and toxins

12. ChicagoReefOne

That's what I thought, but it was a vague question I had. Newbie question too.