Starry Blenny or Algea/Lawnmower Blenny?

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by SkyFire, Jan 15, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

My LFS has both theses species in and I like them both but read that the Lawnmower Blenny has a great personality but on the other hand can nip @ SPS and clam mantles I also really like the looks of the Starry Blenny.

I don't have a clam yet but do plan on getting one and some SPS if I can.

My current corals are some softies, a leather, acans and chalices. I do have a bit of hair algea I'd lide to get control of by fish means instead of me having to pull it out as there are tube worms in there as well and it's hard for me to get to the algea w/o pulling them out too. I have nori sheets and RN formula 2 to feed either Blenny after it's got the hair algea cleaned out (I feed it mixed with the formula 1 for the fish I have).

So which one should I get and will it be OK with my YWG which is of similar shape.

2. Click Here!

3. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

i'd get the starry blenny; as for them fighting with YWG i'm not sure since i dont have experience with that. if you have a big tank they should be fine

4. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

It's for my 46bowfront and I can get the starry blenny for $15 ;D...forgot to ask the price on the algea blenny.

5. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

i think you would be fine... yeah you'd probably be fine for the starry blenny

6. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

The other question is if the starry blenny will help with the GHA?

7. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

it could eat some but dont always count on it; my algae blenny didnt eat any and only ate flake food and shrimp! XD

8. Click Here!

9. fishyfinder

fishyfinder Teardrop Maxima Clam

My lawnmower and YWG get into every once in a while, but that only happens if the lawnmower gets close to the pistol shrimp. They just open their mouths super large at one another then the Lawnmower swims away. Not much of a fight. ha I love the personality of the lawnmower. Great fish. Hope it gives you an idea of the lawnmower.

10. Doratus

Doratus Teardrop Maxima Clam

My Starry Blenny has a great personality also, but he was very shy at the fish store. Now that he has long since been acclimated he is all over the tank. Plus he changes colors which is awesome! :D And another thing is that the starry also eats algae like there's no tomorrow. I vote Starry.

I can't say that every starry blenny will eat GHA but like I said, mine eats it with a vengeance.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  11. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

Thanks for the info guys....I like the looks of the stary better and that it can change colors is just a bonus.
    My daughter likes the algae blenny better and already has a name picked out due to it's looks. So maybe we'll get one of each :D ....one for each tank