Starfish

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Breed, Oct 24, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

:lol: I'll make a fortune in sales this summer!!

2. Click Here!

3. jonathan

jonathan Aiptasia Anemone

i want priority over the west coast :)

4. Fish Fan

Fish Fan Fire Worm

1 person likes this.
  5. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Why the need for a sand sifter if you have a real true sand bed or plenum system ? Just curious I guess i know it kills cats LOL

6. Fish Fan

Fish Fan Fire Worm

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

8. Click Here!

9. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

When you say sea star are you referring to a blue or red Linka ? {Linckia laevigata}. if so only in a well established and grounded tank and they do fairly well if you want one just take time and drip acclimate it for a few hrs .. I think the larger problem many have after acclimation many have trying to keeping these critters is they have stray voltage in the tanks.

The Linkas can't take even minute amounts of stray voltage. But to acclimate them I always drip the amount of water they are packed in and then toss that and double it again then toss that and then once more then slide them in the tank with that water. But it has to be a long slow drip process. I never had a problem with them we had one for a good while until the tank's ground was lost and we lost clams and corals and some algae .. when less the ground probe a bad insulator on a skimmer pump worked on them.

I know I know the books say differently about a ground probe I don't read book they confuse me :)

10. Breed

Breed Feather Duster

I havent seen them at the LFS for a while now but i have seen bristles. They used to be relatively small, a couple were blue and a couple were red. Just looking like an ordinary sea star with curves, and yer the blue one looks exactly like the one u posted, (Linckia Laevigata)

What are these stars like in a tank? they aren't going to eat my fish or anything?

11. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Green brittle stars have a bad reputation for eating fish, shrimp and other critters. Chocolate chip starfish will eat your sessile inverts. The only "reef safe" stars as far as I'm concerned are the linkia and maybe a serpent star.

12. Breed

Breed Feather Duster

I might go with maybe two linkia stars if i can find some. Thanks for your contributions guys!!