Starfish?

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Murball7, Feb 10, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Murball7

Murball7 Bristle Worm

As far as I can tell it's a leg off a starfish I found crawling over my baffle in my sump.
    20160210_201244.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Murball7

Murball7 Bristle Worm

I took it outo but I'm a little concerned about where the rest of it may be.

4. cody3819

cody3819 Bubble Tip Anemone

It looks like a astrea starfish and that is how they reproduce. They will split, I have them in my tank. Some people say they are good and others say they don't like them. They can reproduce somewhat fast and people believe they can become a eye sore.

Swisswiss likes this.
  5. Murball7

Murball7 Bristle Worm

I figured that's what it was, just the size of the arm was about 5/16"-3/8". I've never seen one get that big before.

6. cody3819

cody3819 Bubble Tip Anemone

Well they have a multitude of species of starfish..... So it may not be that? It's very hard to pin the exact species. Maybe someone with more experience can help.

7. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

Throw them in your sump.

Murball7 and cody3819 like this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Eco Marine Reef

Eco Marine Reef Astrea Snail

Like Cody3819 stated, there are a multitude of species. Some good and some bad. Just keep an eye on your Acans, Euphyllia, Lobos, or any of your other LPS corals. I have found that these pesky starfish can alter the health of your LPS corals. In my own experience, I have seen that these starfish will cause your LPS corals to close up a little and possible even cause them to randomly recede. Additionally, if left untouched the starfish have the potential to completely kill your LPS frags/colonies. No one likes to lose any of their prized corals, so just keep a watchful eye on these guys.

cody3819, Murball7 and scajeo like this.