Starfish slime?[update]

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by starfish2217, Apr 11, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. starfish2217

starfish2217 Horrid Stonefish

I think my starfish may be on his way down hill.. he is covered in white slime I just noticed it, he wasn't like that yesterday at all, I found near my anenome just chillin on a rock but he is covered in white slim. nothing is coming from the central disk, I have seen dying starfish but nothing like this.. when I first got him he had white gunk coming all out of his central disk but it went away. Im hoping he can possibly recover? idk it doesnt look good any suggestions would be helpful.. he's still loving around

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Is it just my eyes, or has the top right arm recently been severed? Could be a defense from being attacked or possibly stung by the nem. I'd suggest keeping him fed and keep a close eye on him for a few days. Don't really know what else you could do for him.

4. starfish2217

All his arms are fine, Its just the pic... I was thinking the nem stung him too. idk he's not really deteriorating or anything, just really really slimy.. when I moved him some of it came of it was just clear slippery stuff didn't really have a smell.. I'll just keep an eye on him, what would you suggest I try to feed him?

5. Mr. Bill

Small chunks of most any raw meaty seafood- shrimp, clam, etc should be fine.

6. starfish2217

I'll try to feed him tonight.. I really hope he doesn't start falling apart :/ I was reading that slime can be used as a defense mechanism.. Poor little guy at least he's moving around still

7. starfish2217

Well all the slime was gone today, He appears to be perfectly normal, only one of his lims had a little damage, a very small area, he was moving around today, so I guess we'll see!!

8. Click Here!

9. Mr. Bill

That's wonderful news! Glad to hear. :)

10. starfish2217

Yup doing great :) I didn't have much hope.. I thought he was a goner for sure, he didn't look good at all. Must have been a defense mechanism... He's perfectly fine.. :D which really makes me happy I love that starfish!

11. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

He/she was spawning. Mine does that sometimes.

12. starfish2217

Wow thats really cool, I didn't even think about that, he had a lot more slime on him than that though! I guess thats a good sign im just glad he's okay. Nice star btw, its really pretty!