Starfish legs getting thin

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by xJamesC28, Apr 10, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. xJamesC28

xJamesC28 Bristle Worm

Hey guys, I recently bought a sea star and acclimated him for 1 and a half hours. More recently I noticed the ends of his legs are getting thin. I need help. Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. xJamesC28

xJamesC28 Bristle Worm

Can anyone help me?

4. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Can you show a picture?

Usually, by the time you notice a sea stars health compromised, it's too late to do much.

5. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

Are the legs turning white or melting away??

Usually once it starst to go downhill it goes fast. unfortunatly you stars are doomed before you even get them to acclimate yourself. They are very poor shippers and, as you seem to know from your acclimation time, are VERY sensative to swings in ph, SG, alk, etc. To top it off they often take up to a couple weeks to show any signs from poor acclimation so they can appear "healthy" at your lfs despite being acclimated wrong and doomed from the start by the collector, wholesaler, or lfs.

I will say when I palced my Red Fromia star in my reef it took a few days before it even moved. It sulked into a rock crevice but maintained its color so I left it be and within a few days it started venturing out. Found the glass where it stayed for a few weeks before it learned there was a large rock formation that it spents the next few weeks on after which it learned about SAND and the ability to move to another rock. All said and done it took a couple months before it learned the tank and starting moving around on a daily basis and now after 3 or so months looks and behaves just fine. Im crossing my fingers I make it past to 6-8month mark as that seems to be the true test in terms of how it will fair in your reef tank at finding enough food to thrive or at least survive

6. xJamesC28

xJamesC28 Bristle Worm

Thanks guys really appreciate it. He's a goner at this stage. His legs look like they're Decaying basically and they're so thin their not even sticking to the glass :( I'm really upset. Do you guys think it has something to do with the way I did a water change about half an hour before I acclimated him?

If that's the case do you think I should try again with a new one or do you think I should just leave it?

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Nope do not try again.

These starfish are not aquacultured and do extremely poor in the vast majority of tanks.

It's a beautiful starfish but best left to the experts with large very established tanks,or left in the ocean.

8. Click Here!

9. xJamesC28

xJamesC28 Bristle Worm

Thanks Corailline, I appreciate it. The question now is, When do I now he's dead?

If I ever try again at some stage I'll try a Fromia since I heard their Hardier but that won't be for a long time.

10. sanchoy

sanchoy Astrea Snail

Never try again
    Maybe astrena

11. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

When they basically start to decay they turn a grey color and literally just dissolve from the tips of the legs to the central disk.

You might want to do spot check ammonia levels do make sure the star is not decaying and contributing to a decline in water quality.