Resolved Starfish in new live rock!?!?!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by IrishRugby34, Dec 17, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. IrishRugby34

IrishRugby34 Astrea Snail

DaDaAltlanta: I will keep that in mind. I am having a hard time finding some chaeto, but I think I will keep him for a bit because he looks cool and I am hoping that my cycle is a quick one and that he will make it through. I will check my water params again tonight to see where the ammonia level is at. Also do you go to that LFS right off of Main in Lombard? Thats where I got all my live rock.

2. Click Here!

3. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

Star fish are very sensitive to water parameters. I would be surprised if he makes it threw the cycle, but you never know.

4. Kevin3884

Kevin3884 Tassled File Fish

I got that from seeing 2 of them do it with my own 2 eyes... research for yourself..they are "very efficient hunters" when they grow large...

1 person likes this.
  5. pgoodsell

+1 to kevin. All things are different, but mine if not fed regularly will snatch fish if he gets the chance. Also divott saw his eat one of his shrimps. So use caution as always. And none of these brittle's are the green ones.

1 person likes this.
  6. DaDaAtlanta

DaDaAtlanta Feather Star

Ok, so I went and read that they can and will eat crustaceans, but i guess i keep mine well fed. Actually I saw my coral banded take a big chunk out of one of its legs the other days. More worried about it then the shrimp lol.

IrishRugby34, if you still want to come by sometime and do that trade for the chaeto give me a call. I'm going to PM you my #.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  7. brettwest

brettwest Spaghetti Worm

I have what I believe is a brittle star hitchhiker in my tank,all ive ever seen is two arms sticking out of a hole in the rock.I didnt discover it until 7 mos after I bought the rock.

8. Click Here!

9. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

i *think* i got 3 tiny bristle/serpent stars today when i picked up some more CuC for my 10gal. they threw in some shells that were in the tank that didnt have crabs in them.

i know for sure one is confirmed to be a star as it fell out of the bag with the crabs. right now i have 2 tentacles coming out of a empty crab shell poking around the sandbed. i cant see the body so i have no idea what the tentacles are from. can only assume its another starfish.

10. pgoodsell

Ya those are mini brittle stars, their fine they dont get that big. The ones where talking about are the full size ones.