Unresolved Star fish ?

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by jdameli1, Nov 21, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jdameli1

jdameli1 Torch Coral

It has 6 legs just found on glass[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Asterinid starfish, looks to be safe species. It will most likely split soon that is how they reproduce.

4. pecco22

pecco22 Peppermint Shrimp

its a asteria starfish. not sure if I spelled it right. they are harmless and good to have.

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Asternia starfish.

Many different types most are reef friendly. Number of legs plays no part in identification. Type of asternia is difficult to ID even for experience marine biologist.

6. Zoanthids21

Zoanthids21 McKoscker’s Flasher Wrasse

I am pretty sure that if one of those star fish have more then 3 legs or 4 legs( cant remember) then its a coral eating star fish...I had like 10 of them in my 29g and they all had like 5-6 legs..

7. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

There is only one species that eats coral and it is almost never found in captive environments. If it was a coral eater it would most likely be on the rocks and on a hard coral.

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Nope.

Since legs spontaneously separate from the main body as one means of reproduction, how in the world do you know that a 5 legged did not have 6 legs only 2 days ago. For that matter how about ones with 2 legs verus ones with 4 legs.

Very few eat corals, coralline, or gorgonians as 2in10 posted.

10. el_sillo

el_sillo Spaghetti Worm

i have more than 150 in my tank, i keep getting some out, but i really cant fight them! they told me i could buy a Harlequin Shrimp and he could eat them! my problem is that since ive noticed them my candy cane is starting to die! but i dont know if its the starfish or the overgrowing zoas that are killing it! any help